Saab AJS37 Viggen flying Display Volkel 2019 AirShow

Another one of my favourite aircraft.

South Africa bought SAABs, they are all grounded for lack of spares, even if they had the spares they couldn't be flown, all the qualified pilots left the SAAF because of affirmative action. The SAAF sent a cadre to the RAF for pilot training, not one passed the course, not one had the required IQ to pass the course. The RAF basically told those in charge of the SAAF to refrain from sending anymore unqualified students.

South Africa seems to be unable to move forward in any area which is rather unfortunate as it couldn't stay where it was either.
With regards to the SAAB it would have been interesting to see how it would have performed as a twin engine rather than the single.

South Africa bought SAABs, they are all grounded for lack of spares, even if they had the spares they couldn't be flown, all the qualified pilots left the SAAF because of affirmative action. The SAAF sent a cadre to the RAF for pilot training, not one passed the course, not one had the required IQ to pass the course. The RAF basically told those in charge of the SAAF to refrain from sending anymore unqualified students.

Didn't SA fly Draken (Dragon in Swedish) The Draken was the predecessor of Viggen, thunderbolt in Swedish. I was amazed to see a flying Viggen. I haven't seen one for many years.

SAAB 35 Draken

https://history.saab.com/en/themes/swedish-defense/saab-35-draken/

Didn't SA fly Draken (Dragon in Swedish) The Draken was the predecessor of Viggen, thunderbolt in Swedish. I was amazed to see a flying Viggen. I haven't seen one for many years.

SAAB 35 Draken

https://history.saab.com/en/themes/swedish-defense/saab-35-draken/

If I remember correctly they had the Grippen C and D, but they are all grounded due to lack of spares and lack of qualified pilots even if they did have the spares.

The South African military today is a joke when one looks at their history from before WW2 until 1994.

If I remember correctly they had the Grippen C and D, but they are all grounded due to lack of spares and lack of qualified pilots even if they did have the spares.

The South African military today is a joke when one looks at their history from before WW2 until 1994.

Yes, I remember what I call the South African Gripen failure. I checked, the SA never had Draken, they had Kfir, a fighter plane developed with the Israelis and it looked like an early version of the Mirage. I think the Israelis nicked the French blue prints and built the Kfir

Yes, I remember what I call the South African Gripen failure. I checked, the SA never had Draken, they had Kfir, a fighter plane developed with the Israelis and it looked like an early version of the Mirage. I think the Israelis nicked the French blue prints and built the Kfir

They also had a subsonic aeroplane called the Impala which was the Aermacchi or Macchi MB-326, the problem was, the wings kept falling off.:roll:

Back