S. Korea Develops 1,000-KM Cruise Missile - Page 2

--

July 31st, 2008  
A Can of Man

True that. You need something to retaliate with. No missile defense is perfect.
July 31st, 2008  
Lunatik

South Korea isn't only becoming a stronger and stronger nation militarily, it's also emerging as a major weapons exporter! I don't know about the other customers, but things that Korea has sold to Turkey include self propelled howitzers, technology to produce SPHs indigenously in Turkey, advanced trainer aircraft, various electronics, all kinds of ammo and XK-2 along with its technology/know-how, which will be used in the development of Turkey's own semi-indigenous MBT! There's a huge chance that the Dokdo class will soon be selected in the Turkish LPD tender as well. Apparently Korea's #1 defense customer is now Turkey, and Korea is seen as a strategic partner by the Turks.

And I agree with Ortouch that Turkey should invest in missile R&D. No one wants Iran to be the only guy in the neighborhood with quite capable SRBMs/MRBMs.
August 1st, 2008  
A Can of Man

You can thank your grandfathers before you who fought so well in Korea and the fact that Turkey asked for nothing in return.
South Korea's new weapons systems are as good as they get (except for the fighter planes) and you're lucky to be buying them along with the technology to build them and develop from them at home.
--
August 1st, 2008  
Lunatik

We really are grateful to be friends/allies with the Koreans, who are said to be our distant Altaic cousins from Central Asia. 8)

Quote:
(except for the fighter planes)
I hear a new Korean stealth fighter is currently being designed/developed. Do you know anything about it 13th?
August 1st, 2008  
Lunatik

Here, just found this SP article about it:

http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/6-49363.aspx

And here's an engineering model:

Looks like the Raptor.
August 1st, 2008  
A Can of Man

Wouldn't hold my breath.
If it looks anything like the above it'll probably get a name like "Baby Raptor" or something... like the first K1 MBT, which looked like a smaller M1A1 and got dubbed the "Baby Abrams."
The reason for these developments is so that South Korea gains a know how in producing the latest weapons in case of poor relations with any primary weapons manufacturing/supplying country.
Let's hope the guys behind it keep the airplane mission specific.
The other thing is, what aircraft are they going to throw on the new Amphibious Assault Ships? For now it'll be helicopters only but it can't stay that way forever.

On second thought, might be friggin' useless. We have to use our damned resources for developing good UAVs.
Personally I think I see things going this way: For defensive purposes, manned interceptors will probably be needed to compliment the UAV fleet. Strategic bombing (bombing factories, bridges, etc.) should be done entirely of UAVs operating out of a preprogrammed flight plan. Surveillance will depend on the mission I guess. Interceptors will need to be controlled I reckon because a flaw in the programming might mean it'll start shooting down friendlies without end. And that would suck.
August 13th, 2008  
taesu_99

Pic is that of Japanese stealth fighter project.
Korean is currently experimenting radar absolving material, presumably coating since the article mention that it used on F-4 and F-5 in testing.
August 14th, 2008  
A Can of Man

I heard about the Russians playing around with "stealth" paint but now Korea too? hmmm...
August 14th, 2008  
c/Commander

F-4, really? That's a giant brick of a radar signature usually, it'd be interesting to see how much of a difference RAM makes.
August 14th, 2008  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I heard about the Russians playing around with "stealth" paint but now Korea too? hmmm...
Last I had heard the Russians were obsessed with this new "Plasma stealth" idea or something where a thin layer of plasma was created on the leading edges or something which makes the plan invisible to radar and is supposedly only a fraction of the cost of the stuff that went into the Raptor. But that was supposed to be on the MiG 1.42 and that's going into production with limited stealth capabilities. Anybody else run into rumors of a aircraft creating a thin layer of plasma across the leading edges of the wings to somehow confuse radar? Perhaps it's something I dreamed up.