Rwanda Massacre : Why did UN and retreat and further discuss

--

December 27th, 2004  
Ezechiel

Topic: Rwanda Massacre : Why did UN and retreat and further discuss

700 thousands Hutus (an African tribe) being massacre and the whites seems to be sent away securely from Rwanda. The UN armies RETREAT and refuse to do something effective to save the victims.

Discussion about the Rwanda background, history, politics, and comment on UN's act in the incident r require here.
December 27th, 2004  
chewie_nz

i think there is a fair bit of this issue coming up in the scandle that Kofi anan is finding himself in. i believe that he was the UN official in charge of that particular crisis
December 27th, 2004  
rocco

dont you know, the U.N. is an obsolete political tool for dictatorships and anti-american countries.
go look at the number of resolutions against democratic israel...
then compare rest of stone age middle east and you will understand why U.N. is useless...
+ rwanda isnt the only time it has failed in the past... witout america, the U.N. wouldnt even lift a finger at all.
--
December 27th, 2004  
A Can of Man

700 million?? Are you sure???? I thought it was more like in the 100,000 region. 700 million... they don't even have that many people. That's like more people than the entire United States!
But yeah. Kofi Annan I think was in charge of the peacekeeping operation there in terms of being the head UN official for that mission... you know, the one that completely botched the protection operation of a VIP and his Canadian (I think) wife... then had 10 Belgians captured because they were ordered to surrender... then they got killed and had the rest of the Belgians pull out, where the Tutsis seeking shelter at a local school were left to be massacred.
Yeah I remember that incident.
December 27th, 2004  
Charge 7

According to the United Nations Information Service the number was 800,000 dead. You can read more about it here:

http://www.unis.unvienna.org/unis/en.../unisinf6.html
December 28th, 2004  
Ezechiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
700 million?? Are you sure???? I thought it was more like in the 100,000 region. 700 million... they don't even have that many people. That's like more people than the entire United States!
But yeah. Kofi Annan I think was in charge of the peacekeeping operation there in terms of being the head UN official for that mission... you know, the one that completely botched the protection operation of a VIP and his Canadian (I think) wife... then had 10 Belgians captured because they were ordered to surrender... then they got killed and had the rest of the Belgians pull out, where the Tutsis seeking shelter at a local school were left to be massacred.
Yeah I remember that incident.
OH!..................Sorry, is 700 thousands.
December 28th, 2004  
A Can of Man

lol you changed it now!
That makes my post look stupid.
December 29th, 2004  
r031Button

Part of the Problem was the restrictive nature of the ROE's given out by the UN. I know for a fact that the commander of the UN troops there, a Canadian, was refused permision to raid an arms cache he knew was going to be used in the massacres. He was also refused permission to use force to stop the genocides, so all he could do was try to save the lives of his troops.
December 30th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

IT'S THE UN what do you expect. did you think they would actually do anything, it is the UN
December 30th, 2004  
r031Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne
IT'S THE UN what do you expect. did you think they would actually do anything, it is the UN
Well I think they did a pretty good job of doing something in Korea, the Golan Heights, and in Cyprus. Then again that's just me and the history books.