Russian Miners Too Terrified to Work After Bears Eat 2 Colleagues

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
This would be terrible, I am picturing the Bears seein my big arse and me running around like Benny Hill with the inserted music and sped up film clip.

Terrified workers at a mining compound in one of Russia's most isolated regions are refusing to go to work after a pack of giant bears attacked and ate two of their colleagues.

At least 30 of the hungry animals have been seen prowling close to the mines in northern Kamchatka in search of food, where the mangled remains of the two workers, both guards, were found last week.
The co-workers at the compound in the Olyotorsky district are trapped and frightened: the gruesome discovery has left them too scared to venture out. A team of snipers, with orders to shoot the bears, is now being dispatched to confront the invasion after government officials authorized an off-season hunt.
A spokesman for the local government in the capital, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, said that the area was so isolated that it would take until at least Saturday to get there. Attempts to reach the scene by helicopter had to be abandoned because of thick fog.
The Kamchatka brown bear is one of the world's largest, with males growing to around 10 feet and weighing up to 1,540 pounds. They can also reach speeds of up to 30 mph despite their size. The peninsula, nine time zones east of Moscow and twice the size of Britain, is home to an estimated 16,000 bears.
“In the interests of safety they didn't come out to work — the people are scared by the invasion of bears,” a spokesman for the Kamchatka emergencies ministry said. Villagers in nearby Khailino are also afraid to leave their homes after bears were seen rummaging through garbage.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,390048,00.html

Last edited:
The workers should have take the weapons with them if they isolated from the civilization world.

if a ten foot tall, 1,540 pound bear comes charging at you out of a foggy morning, i doubt you'd even have time to get your weapon out before it's on top of you and munching you.

but that's just my un-educated opinion.

A couple of .45 would do the job as far as I know..... Most of the Alaskans, are isolated from the civilization world, are armed such as .257 Magnum.

if a ten foot tall, 1,540 pound bear comes charging at you out of a foggy morning, i doubt you'd even have time to get your weapon out before it's on top of you and munching you.

but that's just my un-educated opinion.

Not to mention, it is quite difficult to run with a load in your trousers.

haha, that's a one big mother:cen:er. Enough to make a pink mist in the air. *ahem*...back to this thread.

A band of smokejumpers called back to base one day, after having their camp ransacked by a marauding grizzly, that they needed "pulaskis, chainsaws, and a sub-machine gun to blow that motherf*cker away"

Murray Taylor's Jumping Fire is an excellent read:)

personally i'm thinking of this from my point of view... i'm groggy, it's 6am and i'm walking to the mine through a foggy, twilit morning.

Out of this, i see a bear come running at me at full pelt... i think i'd just sh!t myself and get eaten, before i even remembered i have a gun.

personally i'm thinking of this from my point of view... i'm groggy, it's 6am and i'm walking to the mine through a foggy, twilit morning.

Out of this, i see a bear come running at me at full pelt... i think i'd just sh!t myself and get eaten, before i even remembered i have a gun.
Ugh, me too! Scary!!

Either that or just sleep through it. One would be surprised what I can make it through.

Waking up to no legs would be scary though. :crybaby:

I'm not afraid of black bears. There are several who live up in my area and I've crossed paths with them a few times walking alone and unarmed at night. They just stare for a minute and walk away, or just keep eating the neighbor's garbage. I'm still cautious around them, but walking away or running is more likely to attract their attention than standing your ground, and I can recognize one of them by the tags in its ear. Now when the neighbors' dogs antagonize them, I would not go near them at all. Mountain lions are the real danger.

I can't blame these miners though. The type of bears they are seeing are much bigger and more vicious. I wouldn't go out there without one of these, at the very least:

163504_large.jpg

Back