Russian Fleet's Newest Addition

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
First Corvette Low Detectable for Radar Launched in Russia

Created: 16.05.2006 17:13 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 17:13 MSK, 1 hour 43 minutes ago

MosNews

A new corvette with special technology for low detectability for radar has been launched in Russia.

The Steregushchy corvette is the first in the Project 20380 series designed by the Almaz Central Marine Design Bureau and being built at the shipyard. Navy Commander Admiral Vladimir Masorin said at the launch ceremony that the event marked the beginning of a new stage in the development of Russian military shipbuilding, RIA-Novosti news agency reported.

“Russia must maintain its Navy,” he said, adding that the construction of new combat ships would ensure security at sea and global stability. The construction of other two ships of the same series, the Boyky and the Soobrazitelny, is in its initial stages.

The Project 20380 corvette can be deployed to destroy enemy surface ships, submarines and aircraft, and to provide artillery support for beach landings. It uses stealth technology to reduce the ship’s secondary radar field, as well as its acoustic, infrared, magnetic and visual signatures.
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/05/16/corvette.shtml

Can one of our illustrious squids expound to me why I should or should not care about this story? I am a bit hazy as to Naval technology. :CG:

I think that's significant given that they're launching near-US technology (considering that the US Navy -- to my knowledge -- does not have a low-observable ship in active service) while they're basically bankrupt. It's a relatively good thing that they're no longer really our enemies!

Hum, interesting, really interesting. Why do I think of the Toshiba-Kongsberg scandal in 1986 or was it 1987? Anyways, the Russian navy is no longer top notch, the naval bases at Archangelsk and Murmansk are more or less scrap heaps for the once so proud Northern Fleet, and with the ongoing Norwegian oil searches and industrial and the announced military build-up in the Northern Regions the Russans need a new toy.

Their navy has been sadly outdated to say the least and IMO this is the very first step of a Russian military upgrade.

Last edited:
A bit like the Australian Multi-Role Litoral Corvette that's still in pre-production testing. Although this Austal designed ship is a trimaran and aluminium construction.

Yes, and the sea shadow

Sea Shadow

From another angle

Its an R&D stealth ship for the US Navy.
Theroetically you could put VLS on it and just use radar information from other sources for targetting. God bless datalinks.

Last edited:
This is just a corvette, so it will probably be limited to littoral combat (shallow waters, near land). Therefore, it isn't any threat to the USN in the high seas.

However, this still affects our military in several ways. First of all, this is obviously only the beginning. The Russians are probably starting small and moving their way up; in the next few years, we might see a stealth frigate, then a destroyer or cruiser.

Next, as someone up there mentioned, they could sell this design to another country. Yes, they're supposed to be the "good guys" and everything, but so is France, and France sells her stuff everywhere (Argentina and Iraq, for example). This ship could end up in the hands of some Middle Eastern country and threaten USN forces deployed there.

If you think about it though, there really isn't that much of a need for a stealth surface ship right now. Our navy's stealth ships are submarines. They're fast, virtually undetectable, have very long range, and are extremely lethal to everything except aircraft.

The sea shadow does look interesting, but i think it was a test of possible naval ship stealth. The concepts i've seen for future ships look very much like the ones we have today except they have more stealthy features for smaller radar cross section. I'm telling you, take a submarine and convert it for operations like troop transport and anti aircraft, there has to be someone doing that and it would be more stealthy than the sea shadow.

It's interesting to seehow many people still use the equation Russian=Threat to the USA. :D

Anyway, I want to see some pictures of this Project 20380 corvette!

gigabrain said:
looks kinda like the french Lafayette-class Frigate. or is it just me?

Haha, I guessed the same thing after reading WarMachine's comment, before seeing the actual pic! After seeing the pic, I don't think it bears that much of a resemblance to the Lafayette:

lafayette10.jpg

Korvet.gif

I guess we'll have to wait until a real photo of this Korvet turns up somewhere.

President Putin wishes for strong Russia in recent years.
In particular, there are a lot of customers for Russian weapon industry.
We may see another Red October soon.

Back