Russian Coast Guard going for speed instead of firepower?

Prapor

New 'Rubin' class patrol boat of the Russian Coast Guard
0_2df55_122fc991_XL.jpg

Maximum speed up to 30 knots.

That's much faster than most of the Coast Guard's older vessels
post-1-12974149343784.jpg

0_2b764_7d21afcc_XL

But, it does not carry such powerful weaponry as those boats
22460_rubin_almaz_100512_003karp.jpg
22460_rubin_almaz_100512_029karp.jpg

Instead of cannons, I see AK-630 machine guns, and they also have Kh-35 missiles, Wikipedia says.

I guess they are good for intercepting poachers in the Pacific. And matching speed with our big rival over there
IMG_1344.JPG

:)

Is it just me who is misunderstanding what boat you are talking about, or is there a rather large cannon in the front of the boat?

Is it just me who is misunderstanding what boat you are talking about, or is there a rather large cannon in the front of the boat?

The older boats have cannons, yes. The Rubin just has AK-630, which, don't take me wrong, can do a lot of damage, but is not a artillery weapon nonetheless. That is why I said 'speed instead of firepower'.

Yeah, I was thinking that too, but then I looked up what the AK-630 actually was. Interesting having a CIWS as the main gun.

It is not going to fight a war, it needs to to be fast to catch some of the boats around these days. If it needs back up then they can always call up the Air Force

Last edited:
hello,everyone ,I am damjy,it is my first post in this forum,I think it is necessary to make a short introduction,Don't you think so?I am a new member and I join in you just now,I am so glad to be here.Have a good time .
Rift GoldTera GoldTera Gold

Back