Rugged Tablet or notebook?

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
I'm considering getting a rugged notebook or tablet if the need for one arises in future. Does anyone have any recommendations based on performance and price?
Thanks!

3 questions before I can help you

What do you plan to use it for? where? (home, office, on the road) and What is your budget?

You can also consider a hybrid, such as the Fujitsu-Siemens T42xx series.

It's going to be something I'd want to use at motorpools, storage rooms and also in the field (rain, snow, gets thrown around in the pack...) if my job so requires.
My budget is under a thousand bucks. I don't need something that does everything but here are some things that I would like.
GPS - But not a high priority. No doubt when I get back in I'll have my own Garmin device.
What's important is this feature: Word Processor (though a keypad is not necessary.. mostly for pulling up information), Slide show program (like powerpoint), Image files.

Basically this is what I want the machine to do.
When a piece of equipment breaks down in the field, I want to have the instructions for it in case it's not something I work with every day and I can't remember how to fix it and the guy who knows is nowhere to be seen.
I want to pull up a map of the area and be able to mark our locations etc. and take notes regarding various positions etc.
Contain pictures, photos, information etc. on friendly and enemy vehicles/equipment for reference.
Be able to store various instructions on other matters that have relevance to my job but especially the stuff outside my realm that I may run into.
Be able to conduct inventory in an organized manner (that is, organized into folders that are meaningful).

It doesn't need to be able to run any kind of games so a 3D card is completely unnecessary.
A port for a keyboard and mouse will be a plus.
A connection to my computer will be absolutely vital.
Be able to be recharged at various voltages (110-220v)
I think it'll only be a practical machine if I have a vehicle based job. In the infantry, no matter how good the battery is, it won't last long enough.

So what I'm looking for is an affordable, tough image displaying machine with a touch screen for using the stylus. I think it'd be too uncomfortable to be practical without a stylus.

Back