ROTC

Intelligal

I am in the National Guard and would like to go ROTC in college. However, I heard that they had to go through boot camp. Since I would have already gone through National Guard boot camp, will I have to go through the one with ROTC?

Well if you had already done that, why go through something twice? I think in the end, you'll just have "more" training than everyone else who is going through that ROTC program.

What school are you looking into? Be best to contact them.

ROTC cadets do not have to go through Basic.

They have to complete four courses their first two years (unless something's changed since 98). THose four courses, if you've gone through Basic, are a piece of cake. You may find it beneficial to take the first two years of classes. First, they give you greater familiarity with the ROTC program. Second, they can give you an edge to getting a ROTC scholarship. Third, they're easy As, which is always good for the GPA. Fourth, they're fun and a good way to meet people in college with similar interests.

I had three years active and about three years Guard and I went through the first two years of ROTC for those reasons (sans the scholarship, because I had no interest in becoming an Army officer, wanted AF).

So, no, you're not required and Basic counts as a waiver, so to speak, for the first two years. You will have to complete a leadership school one summer (between junior and senior year). You're paid for it, paid well actually, and it determines if you get a commission. Not a big deal, if you ask me, because I saw some folks that passed it and they didn't impress me.

Take the courses, meet folks, have fun, get easy As.

Well here in Montana, UM and Carroll College, they send you to Fort Knox for Basic. However I'm sure that's not the same for all schools. I just assume if you went in when you're 17, you'd have a summer to complete boot camp before even leaving High School or going from High School to Freshman Year in college.

The "Basic" that ROTC Cadets are sent to at Knox is actually just a sort of 4 week military familiarization program rather than actual Basic Training, and you only go to it if you missed your first year (or two, like me) of ROTC.

The course that Eagle mentioned is at Ft. Lewis (I actually just got back from it last Saturday), and although they have upped the standards quite a bit in the past year and plan to do so again next year, it is pretty easy sailing if you have any drive or ambition to be in the military at all and don't crap out. As a side-note, this year it was called Warrior Forge, last year it was LDAC, and before that it was NALC, so next year they're probably going to have another cool high speed name for it (hopefully they'll go with my suggestion and call it ROTC Fantasy Camp II :lol: ).

Redneck said:
The "Basic" that ROTC Cadets are sent to at Knox is actually just a sort of 4 week military familiarization program rather than actual Basic Training, and you only go to it if you missed your first year (or two, like me) of ROTC.

The course that Eagle mentioned is at Ft. Lewis (I actually just got back from it last Saturday), and although they have upped the standards quite a bit in the past year and plan to do so again next year, it is pretty easy sailing if you have any drive or ambition to be in the military at all and don't crap out. As a side-note, this year it was called Warrior Forge, last year it was LDAC, and before that it was NALC, so next year they're probably going to have another cool high speed name for it (hopefully they'll go with my suggestion and call it ROTC Fantasy Camp II :lol: ).

:lol:

Lord. I think it might be easier to just go to boot camp and then do the ROTC, because the 4 weeks, that's like half of the time of real basic and you're not going to that much.

Back