ROTC to Infantry

--

December 7th, 2004  
WannabeRanger

Topic: ROTC to Infantry

If you do ROTC in college, is it difficult to get into infantry when you are on active duty? Any replies would be appreciated.
December 7th, 2004  
Redneck

It depends on the number of IN slots allocated to ROTC for the year you graduate, and after that it all depends on your OML ranking and the Assessment Committees decision, so it can be very difficult sometimes. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the past few years there haven't been many slots available, on the order of a hundred or so per around 4-5,000 Cadets.
A high OML does not necessarily mean that you will get your first choice of branch (especially now, we have a butter bar surplus, so CDTs on Active Duty contracts are being sent into the NG or AR). So you have to first get an Active Duty contract, second actually get your Active Duty slot, and third, get a good result from the Assessions Committee.

Hope that helps.
December 7th, 2004  
WannabeRanger

Topic: reply

It did help. Thanks a lot.
--
December 13th, 2004  
egoz

I was just talking to a couple of ROTC friends at George Washington U. and they were telling me that as far as they know only two people (who are at the top of their class) are getting their picks. One of them is choosing infantry.
December 13th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Topic: Re: ROTC to Infantry

What is ROTC? Military training in college?
December 13th, 2004  
egoz

Reserve Officer Traing Corp. The military will pay for most of the college tuition and in return you serve for the military.
December 13th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Reserve Officer Traing Corp. The military will pay for most of the college tuition and in return you serve for the military.
So, it is possible to just go and straight become an officer without any basic trainings, NCO courses or other military training without proved leadership in practic (intelligence and mental tests are not count)? Like, "hey i'm in college, i want to be an officer, mm'kay!"?

Why doesn't everyone start from the bottom with other grunts?
December 13th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike
So, it is possible to just go and straight become an officer without any basic trainings, NCO courses or other military training without proved leadership in practic (intelligence and mental tests are not count)? Like, "hey i'm in college, i want to be an officer, mm'kay!"?
No.
December 14th, 2004  
egoz

Well I didn't realize you wanted the details. But ROTC is a difficult program to get into. You need to score well on your college entrance exams and be a well rounded character. That means good grades (>3.3 on a 4.0 scale, to be competative) and participation in other high school events like sports, newspapers, student council etc. During college you will have ROTC courses which cover all types of military related material, as if you were going to a war college. You will also have weekly PT and will still need to go to BCT and OTS/OCS upon graduation. There is also a minimum GPA that you need to maintain to keep your ROTC scholarship. They try to pick the best and brightest for the program.

I think I covered all the basics...
December 14th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Well I didn't realize you wanted the details. But ROTC is a difficult program to get into. You need to score well on your college entrance exams and be a well rounded character. That means good grades (>3.3 on a 4.0 scale, to be competative) and participation in other high school events like sports, newspapers, student council etc. During college you will have ROTC courses which cover all types of military related material, as if you were going to a war college. You will also have weekly PT and will still need to go to BCT and OTS/OCS upon graduation. There is also a minimum GPA that you need to maintain to keep your ROTC scholarship. They try to pick the best and brightest for the program.

I think I covered all the basics...
But it is also possible to become straight an reserve officer without any military basic trainings or NCO courses or proved leadership and military abilities in practic? Why shouldn't all basic military skills be learned and trained before even talking about officer or any leadership training? Are those ROTC officers able to train their own platoon properly?

How long is that ROTC and would students get after that their commission to reserve officer? Do they ever lead a platoon during ROTC? Who does give the training, military or college?

And yes, i love exact details 8)