robogrunts- holy cr*p! the terminator is here!

Hollywood has taught us well --> Fear the robots!!!

Actually, I think the paranoia about robots conquering humanity is vastly overplayed, but we are at least extremely well aware of that possibility. So hopefully we are not foolish enough to open up the possibility.

I am curious, wouldn't arrayed ECM's and one big fat EMP drop every robotic soldier on a battlefield? What will they do to protect them from this? I wonder if that has been considered in their design. Unless there is some defense for the robotic soldier, the human soldier is still crucial to the battlefield indefinitely.

I guess that would be their version of a human soldier getting attacked by NBC weapons... or bombed.
Everything will have its vulnerabilities.
But when that robot platoon is wiped out, the amount of lives lost on that side would still be 0.

the_13th_redneck said:
AlexKall said:
I see that more as a radio controled toy, rather then a robot.

Would you have called the Wright Flyer a machine of any usefulness?

I'm not doubthing that it works but a robot is the wrong word, a robot is automatic, not humanly controlled.

Not really.
There are plenty of man controlled robots like the bomb disposal robots. Hell, u can say the ones in factories are too because they're programmed to do a specific set of motions by a guy.
If complete automation is a neccessary requirement, i.e. action without specific instructions, then the amount of things classified as "robots" would be well... VERY small!

the_13th_redneck said:
Not really.
There are plenty of man controlled robots like the bomb disposal robots. h**l, u can say the ones in factories are too because they're programmed to do a specific set of motions by a guy.
If complete automation is a neccessary requirement, i.e. action without specific instructions, then the amount of things classified as "robots" would be well... VERY small!

Everything is at one point controled by a human, this is my opinion of what I see as a robot. As I said "I see" And a factorie robot is automatic once the handler has programmed it. And no i'm not classifying a robot as "action without specific instructions" but as (of what i understood) that thing is controlled by a operator at all times. If that was considered a robot, then a radio controlled car could be classified as a robot, and in my opinion (better specify that more clearly) that is not what a robot is. If the operator did program instructions into it what it should do, then yes I would consider it a robot.

Back