Rioters pelt Sydney police with Molotov cocktails

chewie_nz

Banned
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3201846a12,00.html wrote:
Rioters pelt Sydney police with Molotov cocktails
28 February 2005

By JUSTIN NORRIE, NATASHA WALLACE and GERARD NOONAN
Sydney Morning Herald

BATTLE LINES: Youths burn a mattress in Macquarie Fields during a third night of violence over the death of two teenagers in a police pursuit.

Dozens of youths in Sydney's south-west hurled petrol bombs at riot police in a third night of violence last night over the death of two teenagers in a police pursuit.

In wild scenes near Eucalyptus Drive, Macquarie Fields - where their friends died on Friday night - teenagers and young men screamed at about 100 police: "You killed our mates, you f---ing pigs. You deserve to die too."

Residents of Rosewood Drive clapped and cheered as a policeman was knocked down and could not get up, as a youth hit him with a heavy plank of wood.

By 1am today (3am NZT), the protest had grown to about 200 young people confronting police. Police decided to act when a car was set alight in Eucalyptus Drive, just before 11pm. They marched up Rosewood Drive and into Eucalyptus Drive chanting "move, move, move". Youths used rocks, golf balls, wheelie bins, bricks and other projectiles to resist them.

A car drove quickly through the police line and shopping trolleys were used as battering rams. At one stage four youths used a burning mattress to threaten officers.

By 11.30pm the group had been driven about 100 metres up the road, but the police line was sporadically broken by charges from the retreating youths.

After a confrontation in the street on Saturday night, police said yesterday a taskforce would be set up to review media footage of attacks on police. Task Force Loudon was established following rioting after the deaths of Dyllan Raywood, 17, and Matthew Robertson, 19, about 11pm on Friday. They were passengers in a stolen car that hit a tree in Eucalyptus Drive with an unmarked police vehicle in pursuit. The driver of the stolen car fled.

One 26-year-old resident of Rosewood Drive said of the rioters: "These blokes have been planning this all day. They've been going down to the petrol stations to buy petrol and scouring the neighbourhood for bricks and shit to throw.

"They've been taunting the cops all day long to come and they've succeeded and the pigs are f---ing stupid, man. If only they knew that the only way to prevent this happening is if they didn't take the bait. My mates wanted me to help them hurt a couple of pigs, but there's no way. I don't want to go back to jail.

"For the past 12 years the cops have been coming here throwing blokes into the back of paddy wagons and taking them on joy rides where they beat the shit out of them. It's no wonder everyone who lives around here hates the f---ing cops."

The State Opposition has called on the Government to create a specific offence for fleeing police and endangering lives.

The Opposition Leader, John Brogden, said a Parliamentary Staysafe Committee had recommended more than 10 years ago that a specific offence for evading police should be included in legislation, after a fatal accident involving a police chase in 1994.

The law now provided penalties for dangerous driving and failing to comply with a police direction but there was still no specific offence for trying to evade police in a vehicle, he said.

The Police Minister, Carl Scully, said last night there were already offences under the Crimes Act for resisting arrest and obstructing a police investigation but he was examining whether further clarification of these powers was needed.

"The officers who handled the [pursuit] have my support and gratitude," Mr Scully said. He told 2GB radio police involved in the chase were interested in "more than just dealing with a stolen vehicle".

Jamie Rayward, the father of Dyllan, blamed police for unnecessarily chasing his son, but said he did not blame the driver of the car who survived and ran off. "I can't blame him because they knew what they were doing," he said. "They all were in the stolen car. If they wanted to, they could have said no 'I'm not going to'."

Early this morning, the battle had broken into two fronts on Eucalyptus Drive. Up to 200 rioters were attacking about 50 police at each end of the area.

A large brick wall in the street had been painted with the message: "Cops Will Die".

Police had ordered residents into their houses. Just before 1am a very large fire bomb was hurled from a house. It struck a policeman on the shoulder before exploding spectacularly.

Shortly after that police charged and a police dog attacked a youth who was taunting the police line. He was taken away with blooding gushing from his shoulder and leg.

Early yesterday morning people pelted rocks and bricks at Operational Support Group officers in a street near the crash site, leaving some with minor injuries. Police had been responding to a call that rocks were being thrown at cars.

The attacks were reminiscent of those after the death of the Aboriginal teenager Thomas "TJ" Hickey in Redfern last year. In that incident local residents hurled petrol bombs and bricks at police.

Yesterday, the acting greater metropolitan region commander, Denis Clifford, urged calm. He said police were "attacked by a core group of up to 15 males and females who threw rocks, bricks and other missiles at the officers".

A 21-year-old male and a 21-year-old female were charged with riot and affray and other matters

This is why OC dispersion rounds, CS dispersion rounds, Foam Baton Rounds, Rubber Buck and Bean Bag rounds are a few of my favorite things. Sounds like a target rich enviroment to me.

Of course injured students etc. will be the front page story the following morning... the "outrage" will be reported all over the world.
Sucks.
Even if a rioter is killed while police are protecting themselves from an onslaught, they are treated as victims. It's pathetic.

the_13th_redneck said:
Of course injured students etc. will be the front page story the following morning... the "outrage" will be reported all over the world.
Sucks.
Even if a rioter is killed while police are protecting themselves from an onslaught, they are treated as victims. It's pathetic.

from the sounds of it the police have a huge problem of there with the aborigional community. after years of racism at a governmental level there is a huge mistrust still present. every now and then another aborigional kid seems to turn up dead after "helping police with their inquiries". i dunno it just seems that the Aust police may have some problems to deal with in house

chewie_nz said:
the_13th_redneck said:
Sucks.

from the sounds of it the police have a huge problem of there with the aborigional community. after years of racism at a governmental level there is a huge mistrust still present. every now and then another aborigional kid seems to turn up dead after "helping police with their inquiries". i dunno it just seems that the Aust police may have some problems to deal with in house

That could very well be in other incidents. However in this incident if the 2 were killed fleeing by auto from the Police. Well thats on them. It doesn't give their buddies a right to lobb incendiary devices at the Coppers.

03USMC said:
chewie_nz said:
the_13th_redneck said:
Sucks.

That could very well be in other incidents. However in this incident if the 2 were killed fleeing by auto from the Police. Well thats on them. It doesn't give their buddies a right to lobb incendiary devices at the Coppers.

a few months before this though it was a 12 year old on a bike that died. i trust NZ police beyond a shadow of a doubt, but the aussie coppers ...i dunno, to many stories of corruption & heavy hand tactics.

i don't agree with rioting (well...on a rational level :twisted: ) but i can see where the anger is coming from

yeah the aussie police force is not have a good time. there have been lots of allegations of corruption within the ranks, which really does no one anygood, as the honest police wonder who they can trust and society wonders if they can trust the police at all.

and yes, by and large australia treatment of the aboriginals has been abysmal. aparently they are among the worst off people in the world in terms of education and health. from what iv read, in some communities there is an ongoing circle of violence, drug and alcohol abuse and a sense of despair that they have been forgotten by the government and there is little they can do to improve thier situation.
i really wish little johnny would pull his finger out and act on this one

Back