Retired U.S. Brass To Defend Chinese Military

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Washington Times
April 4, 2008
Pg. 5
Plan media offensive to provide ‘counterpoint’ to articles
By Jennifer Harper, The Washington Times
Two days of socializing among retired American and Chinese military officials has raised concerns that the convivial exchange could harbor a potentially dangerous underside.
Dubbed "the Sanya Initiative," the meeting on the Chinese island Hainan in late February was meant to yield "friendships built on confidence and trust" and examine Taiwan independence, space militarization and U.S. policy.
The American brass — retired Adm. WIlliam A. Owens, Gen. Ronald R. Fogelman, Gen. Charles E. Wilhelm and Gen. John M. Keane — are keen on strategic media outreach in the aftermath. They intend to write op-eds "to provide a counterpoint to the current writing about China's military, for example that of Bill Gertz of The Washington Times," according to their follow-up report.
"I was struck that American generals singled out Bill Gertz as someone they needed to answer. It seemed remarkable that in a joint document with Chinese generals, these Americans seem more afraid of The Washington Times than the People's Liberation Army. It left me puzzled, perplexed," said Gabe Schoenfeld, senior editor of Commentary magazine.
During the meeting, policy talks were cushioned between a fishing excursion and dining. Official lapel pins were given to the men and scarves were gifts for the accompanying spouses. The five-man Chinese group was led by retired Gen. Xiong Guangkai, former director of military intelligence under President Jiang Zemin, who told the gathering that China "does not have the capability or desire to be a superpower."
The Chinese suggested that an upcoming Defense Department report on the Chinese army be delayed and that their American peers support a repeal of "NDA 2000," a law which restricts cooperation between American and Chinese military.
"The objective is less than clear here. If it was to gain more transparency about plans the Chinese have to modernize their military, the initial report fails. The idea that the U.S. write op-eds to support the Chinese position makes absolutely no sense. In fact, it's mind boggling," said retired Adm. James Lyons, former commander in chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.
"There is nothing wrong with retired Chinese and American generals getting together. At issue is this: What are the messages our guys are conveying and how systematic is our side?" said Richard C. Bush, director of the Center for Northeast Asian Policy Studies at the Brookings Institute.
"If our guys are there for tourism or to be sponges for the Chinese message, that's not a good idea," Mr. Bush said. "If they educate their Chinese counterparts patiently and with good humor, that's a positive thing."
Rick Fisher, senior fellow with the International Assessment and Strategy Center, said he finds it astounding that any U.S. official "could even imagine becoming a 'friend' of the spymaster Xiong Guangkai.
"Xiong and his government do not want to be friends with America any more than they care to tolerate democracy in Tibet, Taiwan, or anywhere else."
He said he fears the Americans will be exploited and manipulated.
"The real irony of this report is that it makes no mention that Sanya is the location of a new, very large PLA underground base for nuclear ballistic missile submarines. If Xiong Guangkai were to allow these U.S. officers to bring along a CNN camera crew to film a tour, then I am ready to admit my errors. I'm not holding my breath either," Mr. Fisher said.

Back