Requesting tips for Kapooka

Kilgore

Gday all. Basic training commences on the 10th of january and i feel ready for it, but a bit of nervousness is kicking in :) . However, i like to ask for some advice on how to make things in basic training easier and what to prepare for. I hear that the army takes ironing very seriously and i wonder if i should learn how to iron before going to basic. I am also a poor swimmer. Though i have heard from someone who was in basic a year ago that the swimming test is very easy, im more concerned about the armoured corps swimming test. Should i try a bit of swimming?

Any bit of help would be much appreciated.

:D

swimming is always good. you can never swim enough.
can you talk to your recruiter and see if they can give you pointers in what you can do to make it a bit easier

this is another forum i read every now and again. there is some good stuff on fitness and entry into aussie military:
http://ausspecialforces.com/phpBB2/index.php

Ironing would be a good start. Plus self organisation. Can you do your morning routine in a hurry and at the same time carefully eg. shaving, cleaning teeth and getting dressed in about 10 mins with 30 other people running around trying to do the same thing.

Tip: shower at night not in the morning.

Tip: listen to your instrutors

Tip: dont take a heap of civilian stuff as you wont see it till you leave

Tip: maintain your fitness before you go

Tip: take a good iron

Tip: Take a good pair of running shoes that are already worn in

Im not Aussie, of course, and may be speaking out of line here but first..

I hope all goes well with your training. And second, swimming is one of those survival skills that cant be learned or developed when the need arises. It's alwase a good idea to work up swimming skills, civilian or military.

Having not been to Kapooka I can't say what it'll be like for sure, but from my experiences at the college I can tell you this.
•Work on your fitness. You can never be too fit. It'll just make life easier.
•If you want to become armoured corp you'll need to be a confident swimmer
•You'll learn to iron, believe me. But if you've never ironed a thing in your life, it won't hurt to start now.
•Yeah, learn how to do 10 things at once in 10 mins flat. If you can get the skill of "concurrent activity" down now, you'll struggle less when you get there.
•As LIPS said, take your own runners if you can. But the ADF issue ones aren't too bad. I use them myself (I'm cheap).
•Showering at night can be risky, I've had my arse kicked for it, because it is part of morning routine, not night routine (but that is just due to pedantic DS)
•Listen to everything you're taught. Soak it up.

And whatever you do, don't be a smart-arse or a heat seaker.

Become the grey man. Wind your head in, always be and appear positive.
Let some other knob speak out, whinge and get all the attention.
Above all it doesn't last long and once its over you'll look back on the experience and hopefully laugh.
Cheers and good luck.

Back