Rejected from US Army, still hope as a PMC?

DaggerMDK

So I was recently told that I cannot join the USA's Armed forces because I cut my the nerve and tendon in my left index and the nerve in my left middle finger. Although I have regained almost all feeling and movement, they said is still to big of a risk if I were to be in combat and needed to switch from my right to left hand (I shoot right handed, but you never know when you might get pinned in a position where swapping positions is smart). When I have trained and had to swap firing arms, my I still need to use my middle finger. My index isnt strong enough to fire rapidly.

I also have previous mental disorders, medications, and hospitalizations that stack up as an overwhelming sign that I am ineligible. All of these things have since been fully resolved and were some years ago. However, the men down at the recruiting office felt it wasn't a good idea.

Serving has been my dream for as long as I can remember. I refuse to give up. I want to be on the front lines, even if I die while I'm still in my 20's. I know what I'm committing to. Is there hope for me as being a PMC?
What non-military training do I need?
I was an Eagle Scout and was a Senior Patrol Leader and am a current Instructor for the young guys, so I'm fresh on my first aid, navigation, survival skills, knots etc.

Basically what I'm asking is, can I still fight for my God, my country, and my freedom although I've been disqualified from the US Armed Forces?

Well for one you wont fight for any of those as a PMC, you will fight for the money........
Usually PMC's look for prior Military experience.

Do keep in mind, upon to speaking to a small number of those individuals, keep in mind some did not really "choose" to be a Contractor, just excited the armed forces without any skills that can be really translated to the civilian job market.

And hence the longer they spend working this line of work, the harder it is to find a civilian job anywhere near as much in pay scale.

I know one such fellow that has a family, and no skills in any industry other than private contracting and military combat arms experiance. He has run up his bills to where he cannot afford the lifestyle he lives if he quites and take the huge hit in pay.

Couple this with Congressional instrusion on new tax regulations, and the fact that some contractor companies have very sketchy seperation packages (for if you are injured on the job). And this industry doesn't look as Hollywood as it used to.

I am very certain the IMF community here can provide much better information so by all means politely inquire.

Yo,

Yeah I do understand that. What I was asking is how to get in as a civillian.... if at all possible. This is of course hypothetical. Just trying to figure out where to go now that my original plans for life after highschool have failed.

Yeah I do understand that. What I was asking is how to get in as a civillian.... if at all possible. This is of course hypothetical. Just trying to figure out where to go now that my original plans for life after highschool have failed.

Any military member here will mention this fact, and I can to from I've what seen from the outside you will need military experiance, and depending what you are doing there, and what all the company contract services are, you will most likely need a combat related MOS during your time in the military.

And honestly, they could not state it any better.

If you trying to get in hypothetically then don't try it, I can't elaborate, and rightly so, but the millitary members here who answer, they can tell why you shouldn't do it.

I know the economy sucks, but there must be something that you have interest in, something you can work towards or get educated in.

Last edited:
Instead of a PMC, have you given any thought to being a security officer? You would be serving your community and would also gain some good skills. Depending on what state you live in, you could also look into joining your state's guard, if they have one.

Accept the fact that you are never going to be a soldier. There is a good reason why you were rejected. You want to go to war for your country? Fair enough, except that you have no idea about what it means to be at war.

If you want to serve your country and experience the unity, camaraderie and the adrenaline rush then the police or fire department may be a good place to get it. You will serve, you will be in danger and you'll get respect.

I know it's hard but you are forced to confront the facts as they are.

Avoid all PMCs!
If it goes wrong and you're in the middle of it you are on your own.
Their loyalty is to money only.
As has been said, there are other options, Police, Fire and Rescue, EMS.

Have you considered Law Enforcement? PMCs tend to prefer ex-military or law enforcement. Although, becoming a cop so that you can become a contractor is a bit ass-backwards. (If you ask me).

Soldiering wasn´t for you huh?

Well use that character you think would have suited you well in a military enviroment and get on with it.
You now know that you will never be a soldier, fine.
Where can you be of service to your country and community?
EMS? Firefighter? LE?
The sky is the limit, just the soldiering bit that wasn´t ment to be.

FIDO.

KJ sends..

Understand as well that military contracting (as a business term) abroad can cover a variety of services, not just trigger pulling.

In the U.S. at least I know for a fact, that there are many civilians working aboard not as armed personel, but anything from kitchen workers to diesel mechanics. Many contractor companies have a variety of types of personel to assist in providing a larger variety of services to their clients (such as the Department of Defense).

You can get a skilled trade under your belt some experiance and still work aboard, however this only works as long as there is a "nation building" job market out there, and lastly you still will not be able to enter the field of armed contractors unless you have solid military experiance.

But if travel no real liablities (like a wife and kids),and high pay suites you by all means you can still consider contracting for the Government as a qualified contractor tradesman.

There are waivers for almost anything in the US military, you're just unfortunate to be trying to join when the armed forces has the pick of the litter with the bad economy. It you have your heart really set on joining, then you will have to do A LOT of the leg work and have patience. BUT, don't go into it thinking you're going to get in. The odds are stacked against you...the mental problems of your past are really going to close a lot of doors for you when it comes to this line of work. Think about it, would you want a guy with known mental disorders watching your back on a mountainside in Afghanistan? Combat is not the place to find out if you're going to be reliable or not, and sadly for you, it is just not a risk most are willing to take. It's not about you...it's about the soldiers with you. Lives are at stake here, this is a deadly serious business where the losers don't get a trophy too...they get dead.

I would seriously doubt any "quality" PMC would be willing to invest the time and effort into training a brand new guy. It's about cost effect. Why hire you with no experience when they literally have tons of overly qualified applicants to fill the line? I would stay away from PMCs anyways, yes they make good money...but you're essentially a merc. Good way to end up in a shallow grave in some god forsaken part of the world because you were outgunned and outnumbered...

There's always the French foriegn legion...

About the Legion.

They to have swarms of applicants and it's not as loose on entry as it was decades ago, they do check to the best of their ability where you came from.

And if you got rejected from the U.S. Armed forces, than there is a very high chance they will reject you as well, not on any personal grounds, just as with the U.S. recruiting, with swarms of Eastern Europeans and other from around the world trying to become legionaires, they most likely would not place much bet in those who have admitted mental issues (if minor ones) with so many trying to make a new life in a better place then where they came lined up at the door in Aubagne.

Ahhh, the path to the PMC

Well your mental dis-order is certainly on display. Firstly, being willing to die at any age is not a key quality, it is a fact of life in this kind of service, as C.S.Lewis put it, "death is total for every generation". The key quality in a PMC is to be able to keep others alive. Most of the bread and butter in these outfits comes from personal protective services, guarding the lives of clients and their families and business associates. Pretty much what police do, so try to get hired on as a police officer first and then apply when you have some skills to offer. Think that is not the way? Then consider that any pre teen orphan off the street in Africa can pull a trigger on a klashnikov rifle, pulling a trigger is what you get paid to avoid in the PMC world, your clients want you to keep them out of and not place them into the middle of gunfights. To be in charge of a safe transport move, consider, you have to understand vehicles and traffic patterns, prepare electronic communications and other means of signaling changes along the route. You need to know your clients' blood type and have it on hand and have the knowledge to administer it if necessary and also to know the location of medical facilities on your route and how to get there. You need to understand intelligence gathering functions, who is operating in the area along your route, and how to avoid any danger that can be foreseen. Lets see, vehicles or aircraft or marine craft, medical first aid, communication skills, the ability to think ahead, now who uses this kind of skill set all the time? Yep, primarily law enforcement and emergency responders like medics and firefighters. You can hire trigger pullers all day by the basketfull but if you shoot up the countryside in a foreign country, you could go to jail. So you also have to have non-lethal countermeasures like tasers, and smoke, and flash bang grenades to break up a crowd or subdue someone without killing the **** out of everything that moves. Your brain is your best defence against threats and how to avoid them, you clients want to stay alive and avoid trouble. If you are ever in a situation with no options, you can pull a trigger with your teeth if you have to, remember you are trying to gain employment as bodyguard, not a hitman.

However, the men down at the recruiting office felt it wasn't a good idea.
QUOTE]

I am an ex Army Recruiter. They (Recruiters) want to get you in “boots” but they do not make the rules - don’t blame the men (and women) “down at the Recruiting office”.

Back