Redleg!!! I have a question!!!

Nor sure if this helps

I Google it and without knowing much else about the computer and came up with the below link.
icon14.gif

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ing,+browser+pages+not+refreshing&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=security+token+missing&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

mmarsh, my computer was built in October 2003. Its a Dell Dimension Desktop 2400 series. I have Windows XP Home Edition. As for the hard drive space, Pentium, and ram, I really couldn't tell you right off. I'd have to ask my cousin. As I said, I know next to nothing about this thing.

They did a complete wipe of my hard drive and reloaded everything when it first crashed about a month ago. That's when they first tried to put on Firefox. And it crashed every time they tried to load it. Soooooo they decided that for whatever reason, (they said my computer was "too old") my PC wouldn't support it. I checked and I do have IE 7. I really have no clue what's going on, but I'm really, really, REALLY getting sick of it. :mad:

Thanks for all the info. I really do appreciate everyone trying to help me figure this out.

mmarsh, my computer was built in October 2003. Its a Dell Dimension Desktop 2400 series. I have Windows XP Home Edition. As for the hard drive space, Pentium, and ram, I really couldn't tell you right off. I'd have to ask my cousin. As I said, I know next to nothing about this thing.

They did a complete wipe of my hard drive and reloaded everything when it first crashed about a month ago. That's when they first tried to put on Firefox. And it crashed every time they tried to load it. Soooooo they decided that for whatever reason, (they said my computer was "too old") my PC wouldn't support it. I checked and I do have IE 7. I really have no clue what's going on, but I'm really, really, REALLY getting sick of it. :mad:

Thanks for all the info. I really do appreciate everyone trying to help me figure this out.

I found this off CNET a Dimension 2400 generally includes this:
Dell Dimension 2400 for Home (Celeron 2.40GHz, 512MB, 80GB)

Now this doesn't necessary mean that's your machine as Dell often switches components for the same model (an annoying habit of theirs) but at least it gives us a base.

If you PC is similar to the above that is enough for Firefox (although an extra 512MB would be a good idea). Furthermore I did a Google and I did find lots of people on the internet running Firefox on a Dimension 2400 so I am sure its possible. ALthough It could have been an older version of firefox..

You dont remember what the error was by chance? There would be a record of it in the Windows Event View under "Applications".

I dunno what I have in here. I know there's a Pentium sticker on the front of the tower. It says Intel Inside Pentium 4. Whatever that means. :) I put extra memory in here a while back. I have 37.2 GB of memory (I assume its memory?) on Drive C. Whatever that means. LOL I completely admit my ignorance when it comes to computers!! I really truly have no clue. I know when they got it fixed it was running like a dream (other than the missing security token message on this site) until this past Friday. Now its just being dumb!!!! :(

The error that crashed my PC.....All I know is that a message popped up saying that something had to close due to an error, and when I clicked OK my computer completely shut down and a message popped up that said Windows had shut down to protect the computer, blah, blah, blah.....I do know that when they were trying to fix it without having to nuke the hard drive, they found three files that it said were missing and/or corrupted, but they never said which ones they were. In the end, they had to do a complete wipe of the hard drive in order to get the thing to work properly. My Nvidia video card kept crashing it, too, when they tried to reload the drivers for it, so they had to take it out and reload my onboard card. I'm not entirely sure if they ever figured out exactly what happened to cause the initial crash. All I know is that they got it fixed. Or I thought they did. :(

After reading your new posts I'm 100% sure that the problem is coming from your computer... :(

Since there are no other that are encountering these errors, and you don't get them on every page then I really can't see that there should be any template (or other) problems here...

You should try to install Opera or Firefox and see if you get the same errors.
Since you can run IE 7 on your computer it shouldn't be any problems at all to run those two.. That I'm also 100% sure of... :smil:

http://www.opera.com/
www.getfirefox.com

Okay, I finally got Firefox to load. After almost 2 hours of trying. But now my computer is running really, really ssssssllllllllooooooowwwwww. But we'll see how it works.......

Thanks again for all the advice and info! I've learned more from you guys than from the folks that fixed my computer. :)

Okay, I finally got Firefox to load. After almost 2 hours of trying. But now my computer is running really, really ssssssllllllllooooooowwwwww. But we'll see how it works.......
I suspect that you have only 512Mb RAM/Memory on that computer, so ou really should consider to upgrade to at least 1Gb.
512Mb isn't enough for Windows so that's probably why it's running so slow...

I suspect that you have only 512Mb RAM/Memory on that computer, so ou really should consider to upgrade to at least 1Gb.
512Mb isn't enough for Windows so that's probably why it's running so slow...

Sevens

Redleg is right on this. The performance would be helped with a memory upgrade. I don't know what else you have got installed in terms of programs, but think on it this way, Windows XP is probably using about half you RAM just running Idle so when you have other programs running like antivirus and the like there isnt much left for other programs like Firefox.

At my job sadly we have hundreds of computers with only 256MB RAM using Dell GX-240/270/280, running Norton & Outlook 2003 with a host of other software, 512MB would be a step up.

Firefox takes up a smaller profile/hand print on your system then IE7 hands down.

Something or a combination of things are happening on your computer. Can I assume you have an on board video card on your Dimension Celeron 2.4 with 512mb, 80GB HD? I have the exact computer down in my basement and it runs very well in fact I even put Office 2007 on it, memory hog. Honestly I don't use it anymore because I have faster machines but it's more then enough to run simple Office programs and light intertnet for sure. On board video cards are one of the first things that go on Dells, my school system has 1,900 of them. Were changing over to HP but that's another story

Is your Windows XP a legal copy?
Your memory if it's four to six years old maybe going
Your on board video card same thing maybe going
Reading through the thread reinstalling Windows should fix any missing files
problems.
List all software that's in your add/remove
Do you have limeware or another free music download program?
Any free anti-spyware program, if so please name them
Which version of Office are you running 97/2000/XP/2003/2007?
Are all your updates and services installed?
Anybody who owns a DEll you could use there copy of Windows to reinstall just by the way.
Go into your device manager and update every driver you have, can't hurt.
Do you get "blue screens" of death?
Dells usually have lights on the back are any amber? They should be all green.

I really do have the same computer and could easily use as my main system so to me a combination of things happening, maybe leading toward hardware.

Dell Dimension 2400 for Home (Celeron 2.40GHz, 512MB, 80GB)

Okay, there's a lot of questions there, but I'll try to answer them all. LOL

I have extra memory in this thing. It started with 128. Now its up to 512 with the extra memory I put in. Did I mention we can only get dial-up out here? I know that's part of the reason its slow, but its never ever been this slow until after I got it back from being fixed. I never worried about more memory because I don't save anything except for a handful of pictures and the occasional document. I really only use this for the internet.

Yes, my XP is legal. Its the one that came with my computer, just upgraded because its constantly updating. Or so I'm told. LOL XP was reinstalled from the setup disc and updated after the hard drive wipe.

As far as I know everything that I need is installed and updated. They spent almost a week fixing and updating. It better be all there!!

I use McAfee for my anti-spyware/anti-vius prgroam. I have the latest version. Well......the lastest as of three weeks ago when I purchased it.

I don't download ANYTHING EVER except for the automatic updates.

I haven't gotten a "blue screen of death" since they fixed it, but that's what I got when it initially crashed.

I never used my onboard video card until my PC crashed, because I had an Nvidia one installed right after I got the computer. Why I don't know because I don't play games on here. Same with my sound card. I have an enhanced one....Soundblaster I think? I can't remember.

Annnnnnnnnnnd.........there are no lights on the back of the tower or moniter that I can see........

I think I got everything. I think. LOL

Perhaps I misunderstood.

When you said its slow, did you meaning loading webpages/email is slow? If thats the case then your analog line is the culprit. Nothing to do there but wait until DSL/CABLE/FIBER is installed in your area. You could also check to see if you have 3G Coverage and if so sign up to a plan.

Or is the program itself slow? Slow to open, slow to respond to commands, etc? In that case you need more RAM. However Firefox really isnt that piggy on resouces, it creates a much smaller inprint than IE 7 does.

All of the above, mmarsh. Its slow to respond whether I'm on the internet or not. If I click, for example, on the icon to play Solitaire it takes almost a minute to open the game. Before, as soon as I clicked on it, it would open up. The websites are very slow to respond and load. And if I try to refresh, it takes FOREVER to load whatever site I'm on back up. It never used to be like this before it crashed. The internet was understandably slow because of the connection, but never this bad. And when I wasn't online it was never ever slow about opening things.

I still have IE 7 on here because I was told I can't delete it and still use the internet (we have MSN). Can I delete it? Do you think that would speed things up a bit?

Have you tried:
- running a virus scan (make sure it's up-to-date first)
- running the most current version of Ccleaner
- defraging the computer

I just did theabove to my mother-in-law's computer (its 5 years old), and it really improved the speed for her... :type:

Have you tried:
- running a virus scan (make sure it's up-to-date first)
- running the most current version of Ccleaner
- defraging the computer

I just did theabove to my mother-in-law's computer (its 5 years old), and it really improved the speed for her... :type:

Be careful of using "free" downloads. They often come with 'tracking cookies' which can really slow down your Computer. Doing the 3 things suggested above can get rid of that kind of stuff.
Also beware of spyware. It can have the same effect. Suggest you try SUPERAntispyware for that.

Be careful of using "free" downloads. They often come with 'tracking cookies' which can really slow down your Computer. Doing the 3 things suggested above can get rid of that kind of stuff.
Also beware of spyware. It can have the same effect. Suggest you try SUPERAntispyware for that.

What do you think of AVG anti-virus. Although it is free, I've heard really good things about it. (My computer degree is 9 years old, and basicly about useless anymore as I didn't go into a computer related field after school.)

What do you think of AVG anti-virus. Although it is free, I've heard really good things about it. (My computer degree is 9 years old, and basicly about useless anymore as I didn't go into a computer related field after school.)

I use it. Its not bad for a free piece of software but Bitdefender Internet Security is better and worth the $$$. Also Sevens said this was a new install so while your ideas are good, (cookies and defrags) wont effect much a brand new installation of Windows much.

Sevens

Ok, I think I get it. You have in fact TWO problems. The problem isn't firefox per se, something is forcing your PC to a crawl.

Concerning the internet speed, unfortunately that is the limitation of analog connections, there is nothing more that can be done other than wait until your area has better coverage or you move. Its a c**p deal but I am afraid you're a victim of the USA terrible internet infrastructure.

For your PC being slowed down. There are two possibilities, either one of your apps is consuming all your CPU power (a common occurence) or you are low on RAM. When you are low on RAM the computer switches to its paging file (this is an area of HD space that is converted into RAM for short term memory usage). The bad thing is that your HD read and write access is much slower than actual physical RAM chips hence your PC reacts accordingly.

To begin with:

Close all apps and Open the Task Manager (Alt+Clt+Del) click task manager. Go into "processes" tab and do a sort by CPU (click on the CPU label). This will sort all processes currently running by the amount of processer resources it is consuming. If you see an application that is taking an enormous amount of CPU resources for a long amount of time, there is your culprit. If everything is well you should see processor inactive at 99%.

**Watch your antivirus. Thats a killer. Espicially if you use Norton or McAfee. Of all the problems I have diagnosed antivirus and other security software are often the culprit.

Secondly look at your Physical memory usage. If its over 70-80% (around 350,000-400,000 bytes in your case) its time to think about a RAM upgrade I mentioned earlier. Windows XP is a RAM Hog, the more memory you add the better it preforms.

You can also do a sort on which programs use the most RAM by clicking on the Memory tab. This will sort applications from the biggest RAM pigs to those that use the least.

Incidentally whatever is slowing down your PC is almost certainly having an impact on Firefox as well.

Best of luck

Last edited:
At this point (because it sounds like it's not JUST with the forum that you're having computer troubles) I'd start thinking about a new computer.......

Are you going to buy it for me, Rob? :p I can't afford one, and won't be able to for quite some time.

Thanks for all the info, mmarsh. I'll get to work checking on all that and see if I can figure out why this thing is so slow all of a sudden. :)

On the upside, I haven't gotten the security token warning since I got Firefox to work, so I hope that problem is over and done with. :)

Are you going to buy it for me, Rob? :p I can't afford one, and won't be able to for quite some time.

Thanks for all the info, mmarsh. I'll get to work checking on all that and see if I can figure out why this thing is so slow all of a sudden. :)

On the upside, I haven't gotten the security token warning since I got Firefox to work, so I hope that problem is over and done with. :)

Have you gone to an electronics repair shop? The one near me sells used computers that they have refurbished at a reasonable price. It might be an option...

Back