Red dot sight at close range

ActionMan

Does anyone else find a red dot sight to be more of an obstacle than an advantage at close range? It is almost impossible to adjust for anything closer than, say, 20 yards.

I realise that at 20 yards I should be hitting the target anyway, but you know what I mean - it's in the way, and it's a distraction.

Thoughts?

At 20 yards a person will fill the sight, and if they have got that close you could be trouble any way.

Here's a tip I picked up when I used to shoot competively:

When using any sight with a holographic reticle (red dot, reflex etc), shoot with both eyes open.

It feel strange at first, and some people take a couple of hundred rounds to get the hang of it, but when you do, you will be amazed at how fast, and accurately you can shoot.

If he's at 20 yards I think you'll be spraying and praying.

Or reaching for a grenade.

Or committing to a tactical withdrawal from your current position.

Forrest_Gump said:
Here's a tip I picked up when I used to shoot competively:

When using any sight with a holographic reticle (red dot, reflex etc), shoot with both eyes open.

It feel strange at first, and some people take a couple of hundred rounds to get the hang of it, but when you do, you will be amazed at how fast, and accurately you can shoot.

Excellent advice.

This is how I instruct my guys to shoot with the US Army’s M68 reflex sight.
First both eyes are open second when entering a room the principle time we train close quarter shooting the weapon is up on your shoulder ready to fire. The butt stocks on are m4's are closed and the weapon is canted towards your eye. As you move about you don’t move your head you move your body the weapon becomes an extension of you. What happens is that as you scan the weapon is moving with you. As you find and engage targets the reflex scope cuts down on acquisition time. Basically as you scan you’re looking down the weapon through the scope and as you pass over a target your body reflexively places the dot over the target leaving you simply to pull the trigger. It works much better then iron sights and there is no need for spray and pray. Like any reflex it must be practiced if you don’t practice then your body won’t get used to it. I am not going to go into actual drills you can do but you can find them online. With practice its almost scary how fast you can be, with practice you can sweep a room shoot as you sweep and make it look like one continuous sweeping motion. Profesionals dont spray and pray there faster- 2 in his body and 1 in the head before he pulls the pin.

Last edited:
Back