Recipes

rattler

As I am an all-sensual person I was looking for some nice recipes with so much distinguished audience present here from many nations... and did not find any... ???

This has to change from my bachelor POV, and I will start with "What were you cooking/preparing today" next post.

Rattler

Last edited by a moderator:
Badass Gazpacho

This for the poeple that have to suffer 40 Centigrade (105 Fareneheit) heat and above, and to work, and that find themselves working sweating like :cen:, and losing minerals, vitamins, liquid and all, close to collapse when work finishes...

For this, in summer I *always* have a few litres of "Gazpacho" ready in the fridge, today (right now) prepared the first charge.

Gazpacho gives your body back everything you lose in the heat and it refreshes like not even the first beer can, you can easily adjust it to your bodily needs (little salt for high pressure folks, more for th low pressure folks that threaten to faint evry minute during such a hot day), it has vitamines, minerals (and, depending on how you prepare it a good choice of proteines to feed you):

Here is how I do it (a French great cook showed it to me some years ago, I know purists might like it differently, feel free to comment, but for me it works...):

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a chef, so do not ask me how many rations this is for, what calories it has exactly, etc. Also, I will post this for dummies like me who need step-by-step instructions when in the kitchen).

Preparation Time:

30 min (if you have the ingredients cold), else you will have to wait for it to get cold in the fridge (see the tricks section to accelerate the process)

Depending on my needs or the weather I perpare the Gazpacho fairly differntly through the year, but it is always founded on the

BASIC (Primary) INGREDIENTS:

About equal amounts of the following (I usually pepare around 3-5 litres as it is a bit of work you do not want to do everyday, but you want to be able to just pop in for a moment from work, get a bit, and go again), you have to do your own calculations if you need weights.

- Tomatos (a little more); they should be big and ripe, they give the basic taste so select them well
- Cucumber
- Onions (a little less else it might get too bitter); I prefer salad onions as they do not taste so stronly
- green and red peppers; those should be not too ripe, crunchy
- Dry White Bread (rather a little less for color reasons); fresh white bread also works

Then:

- Water (For me the amount to soak the bread is just enough)
- Olive Oil (best quality: Virgen Extra; about 5% seems right, see later in this recepie to find out the exact amount)
- (a little) vinegar (I mix the vinegars: Apple, Red Wine and Balsamico)

Basic spice:

- Salt
- Sugar
- Garlic
- Basil
- Thyme
- Rosemary

Secondary Ingredients (rather optional according to your preferred flavor, not shown in traditional recepies but work for me)

- Prawns
- Tomato Concentrate or Fried Tomato Puree from a can (for color reasons only)
- White or Red Wine
- Cream

----------------

Preparation:

There is some work to be done:

- Peel the tomatos (you do not want the skiin in it): Put them 1-2 minutes in boiling water, then shock them with cold water: The skin will come off easily

- Peel the cucumbers (a potato peeler will do just fine)

- soak the bread in water (cover with water and wait 15 minutes)

- clean the green and red peppers from in- and outside of anything that is not green or red

- keep one green pepper apart

- chop everything else down to pieces (1-2 cm size will do, the rest is done by the mixer)

- the pepper you kept apart, chop down to tiny pieces and store away, you will later put it on top of the soup/cream when you serve it

To give you the visual idea:

gazpacho%20prep%201.JPG

Now prep your mixer.

(I have a two litre mixer, and here is where I employ a trick: I never fill it much more than half and do the whole Gazpacho in various separate mixing turns: This allows me to adjust the taste after every round of mixing in e.g. doing one mix turn w/o oil (if I feel it is too much), or with more/less spices, bread, etc.) until the overall comes out the way I like it. Same goes for color (the eye also eats, and Gazpacho for me has to be red: I add the concentrate or the canned tomatos until I have the color I want).

Load your mixer with the relation of the basic ingredients as mentioned above, add salt, oil, vinegar (I use different vinegars for each round of mixing), spice, sugar (1 table spoon per tomato to neutralize the acid), add a little water, and Hit The Button! to create a puree of the ingredients.

Personally, I like it rather raw, i.e. not so creamy with clearly distinguishable pieces of the different ingredients, but you can of cause keep going until you have homogenous cream without such pieces, a soup rather...

If you need the gazpacho ready at once, a good trick is to crush some ice cubes (wrap into a towel and crush against any hard surface, like a wall or so) and replace the water with them.

You are done! Shove it into the fridge and use it when the temperature is ok (I prefer it rather cold).

But, of cause, there are

Variations:

- If you want it soup style, pass the whole thing through a strainer (rubbing it through with a spoon); this elimiinates any peels or larger pieces and leaves you with a fine creamy result

- Want more proteins? Add some Cream and/or some prawns (whole!)

- Spicy: Add some Chilis, nicely chopeed down to smallest bits (take the white pellets out before)

etc., etc...

Presentation:

When you take it out of the fridge, fry a piece of sandwich or white bread cut into small cubes in little olive oil, mix with the pepper you left apart and serve it with the soup for everyone to add as he likes.

My typical presentation looks like here:

Gazpacho.jpg

Enjoy!

Rattler

Another of my most Favorites....."California Roll" w/lots of Wasabi...lol..yes, I like it hot and spicy!! lol..."tanoshimu" enjoy!
california-roll.jpg

Last edited:
They look great, what´s your recipie for chef dummies?

Rattler

Hay te va, carino.....(Here ya go darling)....Provecho! (Enjoy)

Enchiladas Recipe

A note about the tortillas. The corn tortillas must be softened before they are rolled and baked in the casserole. Frying them gently in a little oil greatly enhances the flavor of the tortillas.

Ingredients

• Grapeseed oil (or another high smoke-point oil such as peanut or canola oil)
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup of salsa (Mild prepared salsa or make your own using cooked or canned tomatoes, roasted green chiles, onions, cilantro, oil and vinegar. Do not use salsa made with fresh, uncooked tomatoes for this dish.)
  • 3 Tbsp of tomato paste
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes (preferably fire roasted)
  • Olive oil
  • 1 lb of jack cheese, mild cheddar or longhorn or any mild yellow cheese, grated
  • A handful of cilantro
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • Half a head of iceberg lettuce
Method

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2 In a large fry pan at high heat add 3 Tbsp of grapeseed oil. Add a tortilla to the pan. Cook for 2-3 seconds, lift up the tortilla with a spatula, add another tortilla underneath. Cook for 2-3 seconds, lift again, both tortillas, and add another tortilla underneath. Repeat the process with all the tortillas, adding a little more oil if needed. This way you can brown and soften the tortillas without using a lot of fat. You do this process to develop the flavor of the tortillas. As the tortillas brown a little, remove from the pan one by one to rest on a paper towel, which absorbs any excess fat.
2 Sauté up the chopped onion and garlic, then turn off the heat. Add 1 cup of salsa. Dissolve 3 Tbsp of tomato paste into 1 cup of water, add to pan. Add 1 cup of crushed fire roasted canned tomatoes. Taste. If the sauce tastes too vinegary, add a teaspoon of sugar.
3 Put some olive oil on the bottom of a large casserole pan. Take a tortilla, cover 2/3 of it lightly with the shredded cheese, then roll up the tortilla and place it in the casserole pan. Continue until all tortillas are filled and rolled. Add sauce to the top of the tortillas in the the casserole pan. Make sure all are covered with the sauce. If not, add a little water. Cover the whole thing with the rest of the grated cheese. Put the casserole in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.

*plus you can stuff your enchiladas w/just about anything from chicken to beef or cheese!!!! LOL*

Last edited:
Thanks!

Will try on weekend and report the result!

One question, though, on which I am not clear: Any idea on how to make the (corn) tortillas? I know I can buy them prefabricated, but...

Rattler

I cook a bit but this is a recipe I invented in college many years back.

Ingredients:
- 1 Cup rice.
- Canned corn.
- Canned mixed vegetables.
- Canned meat of one kind or another... doesn't matter.
- Canned tuna.
- Ketchup.

Step 1: Cook rice. When done, put in a frying pan.
Step 2: Add 2 spoon mounds of meat and tuna to the rice. Cook.
Step 3: When the meat is obviously cooked and the tuna is steaming, add vegetables and corn. Add maybe a 1/4 cup of each.
Step 4: Just cook the until the vegetables and corn are warm.
Step 5: Take out and put in a bowl.
Step 6: Add ketchup, mix, enjoy.

Re the frying pan and step 2 (cook): Is it "cooking" or "frying" (water vs oil), or simply "heating" w/o adding any liquid?

Rattler

Last edited:
Thanks!

Will try on weekend and report the result!

One question, though, on which I am not clear: Any idea on how to make the (corn) tortillas? I know I can buy them prefabricated, but...

Rattler

NOTE: Buy the MASECA brand for corn tortillas...its easier and they taste delicious!!!! All you need to do is add hot water....lol....Provecho!!!!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups instant corn flour (masa harina)
  • 1 1/3 cups warm water
Preparation:

Heat griddle (preferably non-stick or seasoned iron) over medium heat and have ready.

Mix corn flour and warm water to form soft dough. Pinch off pieces and form into smooth balls with the palms of your hands. Keep remaining dough covered with a damp cloth to prevent drying.
Open tortilla press and lay a plastic sandwich bag on the bottom half. Place ball of dough on the plastic, a little off-center, towards the hinge of the press. Place another sandwich bag on top of the ball and flatten slightly with your hand. Close the press firmly, then open. Dampen hands with a little water. Peel the top bag off the tortilla, then lift the bottom plastic bag up with the tortilla still on it. Transfer the tortilla, dough side down, to your dampened hand. With free hand, carefully peel the bag off the dough.
Note: If the dough is thick and grainy, a little more water may be needed. If it sticks to the plastic or your hand, it is too wet and a little more flour may be added. Always keep hands damp with water when handling dough. Place the tortilla on the hot griddle and cook turning only once, like a pancake. This should take about 2 minutes.

Blueberry Viper.

1 Decent size Viper.
1 cup of bluberrys, (give or take an ounce)
1 handfull of lemongrass.

Step one, cut head of a fresh Viper. Make sure you cut one decimeter behind the head to get rid of the poinenous glands.
Step two, Open the viper up and get rid of the entrails..
Step three, crush the bluberries and lemongrass together and rub it into the viper.

Grill over open fire, enjoy..

How about some of Top's Cajun shrimp or crayfish (crawdads) from Louisiana?

6 small green hot peppers
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 pound of shrimp or crayfish tails (remove the legs if you use shrimp)

Remove the seeds from the peppers and finely mince them (you might want to use gloves). Also mince the garlic and onion.
Spread the shrimp or crayfish on a heavily buttered piece of aluminum foil , cover with the vegetables and wrap it all up.
Cook in the oven (300-325F) until the shellfish are nice and pink, maybe 40 minutes or so. Cooking them in the shells adds flavor and gives you something to lick afterward.

One more thing, enjoy!

PS: I have more easy recipes.

I have to make Half Moons least once a month :x and I'm not a good cook ..really ..lol ..but ok --> pre-pgkd Pizza dough ...cut in half ... roll into new circles ...fill with pre-cooked potatoes, onions, cheese, ham/bacon or sausage...cook about 20 mins. Don't know why my sons dont cook yet, lol.

Back