RAF Jurong and Operation Rimau - Page 4

--

July 17th, 2012  
viper2007

Opa Brit and Kabor,

I've been doing a bit of reading and small scale investigative work- based on the assumption that the 3rd SAF Signal Battalion took over the RAF Jurong premesis. This is also based on this article from Mindef Singapore-
http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/min...ions_3Div.html

If that is indeed true, then RAF Jurong would be where Jurong Camp I & II now is. It is actually within 5 kilometres from my residence.

I also was looking at an old photo from one of the websites-

http://www.hariggers.co.uk/places.htm

It showed a photo of the aerial field with the Nanyang University at the background. Based on this photo, this would also indicate that RAF Jurong site is where Jurong Camp I & II is now. These two camps are also adjacent to the Discovery Centre, Singapore.

I hope I am right...
July 17th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Thanks for the info Viper. Personally I rarely ventured out onto the aerial farm near the university fence, only once or twice in two and half years.
July 21st, 2012  
Kabor

Brit, so sorry about the delay in responding, Iíve had problems with my laptop.

With my interest in Operation Rimau I undertook a lot more research and like you felt like I was peeling back more and more shocking stories for both locals and POWs in the Far East. There doesnít seem to be much understanding or appreciation for what our (British) POWs went through in the Far East for whatever reason.

The countless atrocities and stories of torture are horrific, and one wonders what support these men got after the war. I know it was different in those days, and people kept quiet but from our understanding now of trauma, there must have been many with PTSD, let alone their health problems. From a lot more digging, the reality certainly did seep out and that many did suffer post war, died far too young, either from the physical maltreatment or mentally not recovering from it.

I am from two generations later but I can understand your anger and hatred very well.

Forgiveness is an individual thing, and it is hard to forgive a nation which has not done enough to neither admit nor apologise for the atrocities they caused; and even then forgiveness is a personal thing. There are still far too many apologists and revisionists out there. As you say, the focus goes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. What so many fail through a lack of educating themselves but those bombs probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives, if not millions Ė both Japanese and Allied, civilian and military Ė no doubt this has been much debated before on this forum.

It probably was the kindest thing that your grandparents thought that he may be alive still in Australia and that your father didnít know the details. Just too heart-breaking. From what you say, was that the first that knew he was dead, from looking at the Kranji war memorial?

Everything you say about the Japanese of today not being educated properly, harks back a long way, and itís not just the Japanese, many British at least, canít speak for the Americans and Australians, also are unaware and or on a never-ending guilt trip for the atomic bombs. We are the baddies.

Of course, MacArthur has a lot to do with it and so many of the A list war criminals and below escaped punishment, headed up corporations and had positions in the new government. Sickening. The schooling fails to present an accurate and objective picture of what led up to the war and what they did. I believe, in some cases, they are still making out that the Japanese were the heroes of the Far East for the Asians, let alone their denial of the Nanking massacre, Unit 731 and the rest.

Thank you for your PM and Iíve just replied to it. Iíll keep in touch of anything else that comes my way. Thank you so much for your time and your help.

Wishing you and yours the very best
--
July 22nd, 2012  
BritinBritain

My family didn't know for sure that my Uncle John was dead, they were never informed or assisted by the Air Ministry despite many requests and plea's for information. It was only when I visited the Kranji War Memorial in 1967 and found his name that I knew he was dead.

All the information I obtained regarding his death came from a website called FEPOW, they gave me his POW number, date of death and cause of death which according to the Japanese was Malaria. The Japanese forgot to mention starvation and beatings.
July 22nd, 2012  
George

The Jewish segment of the Holocaust(rest of the victims tend to be overlooked) gets the publicity, but the Atrocities/Crimes of the Japanese would seem to be worse & more extensive but is virtually unknown in the West except for people with an interest in history
July 23rd, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
The Jewish segment of the Holocaust(rest of the victims tend to be overlooked) gets the publicity, but the Atrocities/Crimes of the Japanese would seem to be worse & more extensive but is virtually unknown in the West except for people with an interest in history
EXACTLY George. An ex 14th (British) Army soldier said, "Not only were we the forgotten Army, we are also the forgotten POW's."

As I said before, I personally knew an ex Jap POW, the poor bugger was always off sick and in constant pain, he was such a nice bloke and he died well before his time due to the treatment the Japs handed out.

There was an ex POW on TV who told of a British prisoner got hold of an egg for his sick best mate. The Japs caught him, tied him to a post, tied his legs wide open and lit a fire under his genitals. He died screaming in agony.

It is when I hear stories like this my hatred for the Japanese grows ever deeper. In all honesty I wish the Allies had invaded Japan, evacuated all the Allied POW's then nuked the place until it sank below the sea and nothing was left.
July 29th, 2012  
mickj3

Kabour, I have replied to your message of the 26/7, have you rx it.

Cheers

Mickj