Questions

Lamm

Howdy, I have a few questions on my mind I am just gonna throw out for any to grab.

1. What would be the process for me and how hard would it be for me to be a USMCR 1371 Combat Engineer and go Active Duty 0311 or 03xx?
Would it be as simple as fillin' out some paperwork and waiting it through? If so, how long would it take? I've heard that as long as 1371 isn't a critical MOS at the time, I can do it, no problem.
I plan to be in the USMCR while in college, so when I finish college I want to go on active duty.

2. I know there are 4 and 6 year contracts, are there 2, 3, and 5 year contracts? Do they depend on your MOS?

3. What would be the process for me to go from a USMCR 1371 Combat Engineer to OCS? Would it just be filling out paperwork and wait for the next class?

4. Since I want 03xx, but cannot while in the USMCR because there are no Infantry Units in my state, could I, one of the summers after I am finished with all my training, go to the School of Infantry, and recieve a 03xx MOS along with my 1371 MOS? That way, when I want to go active duty 03xx, I already have the MOS.
( I know all non 03 Marines go to MCT, but is that enough training for Infantry for a 1371 to go 03xx?)

Thats all I can think of at the moment, thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

Lamm said:
Howdy, I have a few questions on my mind I am just gonna throw out for any to grab.

1. What would be the process for me and how hard would it be for me to be a USMCR 1371 Combat Engineer and go Active Duty 0311 or 03xx?
Would it be as simple as fillin' out some paperwork and waiting it through? If so, how long would it take? I've heard that as long as 1371 isn't a critical MOS at the time, I can do it, no problem.
I plan to be in the USMCR while in college, so when I finish college I want to go on active duty.

2. I know there are 4 and 6 year contracts, are there 2, 3, and 5 year contracts? Do they depend on your MOS?

3. What would be the process for me to go from a USMCR 1371 Combat Engineer to OCS? Would it just be filling out paperwork and wait for the next class?

4. Since I want 03xx, but cannot while in the USMCR because there are no Infantry Units in my state, could I, one of the summers after I am finished with all my training, go to the School of Infantry, and recieve a 03xx MOS along with my 1371 MOS? That way, when I want to go active duty 03xx, I already have the MOS.
( I know all non 03 Marines go to MCT, but is that enough training for Infantry for a 1371 to go 03xx?)

Thats all I can think of at the moment, thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

1. You would first have to request to transfer from the Reserve to active duty if you had time left on your reserve contract. Then you would have to request a lateral move to the 03 field. If you were granted the move then you would attend SOI.
If your reserve commitment was fulfilled you could reenlist for active duty as an 03. Provided slots are available and your MOS is not critical.

2. 4 and 6 are standard. Check with a recruiter.

3. You would have to apply just like everyone else to an OSO and jump through all the hoops for a seat at OCS.

4. You could request it. However you being able to attend a school for an additional MOS not related to the 1300 field is unlikely and will be done only at the descreation of your command and the Corps.

Back