Question

--

December 23rd, 2011  
I3BrigPvSk

Topic: Question

I have a question about the "Tommy Gun" the Thompson sub-machine gun. Has the tommy ever been used with the drum mag in any armed conflict? I have never seen any real pictures of it from the second world war with the drum mag

Merry Christmas,

G
December 23rd, 2011  
42RM

The above photograph of Winston Churchill with the Thompson submachine gun was taken during his visit to the coastal defense positions near Hartlepool on 31 July, 1940.

The British Army, more notably the B.E.F - British Expeditionary Force were apparently the first to utilize the Tommy gun in WWII combat. Later on issued with several 30 round box magazines as the drum magazines were too bulky for an infantryman to a carry.
December 24th, 2011  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM

The above photograph of Winston Churchill with the Thompson submachine gun was taken during his visit to the coastal defense positions near Hartlepool on 31 July, 1940.

The British Army, more notably the B.E.F - British Expeditionary Force were apparently the first to utilize the Tommy gun in WWII combat. Later on issued with several 30 round box magazines as the drum magazines were too bulky for an infantryman to a carry.
Thank you, sir!

I have seen this picture before, in a book by Peter Young if I remember correctly. The book had the title "Commandos" This picture had the title "Commando Spirit". However, I have never viewed it as a "combat picture" more of a moral picture.

take care,

G
--
December 24th, 2011  
84RFK

To my knowledge the US Marine Corps was armed with the M1928A1 Thompson with drum-magazine at least in the first months (year?) after the USA entered the WW II and used it in combat as well.
December 24th, 2011  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
To my knowledge the US Marine Corps was armed with the M1928A1 Thompson with drum-magazine at least in the first months (year?) after the USA entered the WW II and used it in combat as well.
This is correct mainly in the Raider Bn's and in place pre-war units. I believe it also had use in the Commandos of the UK. It was also used by the IRA with drums during the Border Campaign of the late 50's.
December 24th, 2011  
BritinBritain

My dad was issued exactly the same Thompson as shown in the photograph while he was in Palestine. He never fired a single round from it.

There were problems with the Thompson issued to British troops in Burma, it was nothing to do with the gun itself, but the ammunition. If I remember correctly it was to do with the high humidity.

How I'd love to get my hands on one now.
December 24th, 2011  
Trooper1854

With a drum mag, it could weigh up to 26lbs. Bit excessive for an SMG.
December 24th, 2011  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
With a drum mag, it could weigh up to 26lbs. Bit excessive for an SMG.
I agree, but I'd still love to get my grubby little hands on one. Give the local criminals something to think about when they come calling.
December 24th, 2011  
Trooper1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I agree, but I'd still love to get my grubby little hands on one. Give the local criminals something to think about when they come calling.
Have you seen the series "Suns of Guns"? Its about a Louisiana gun smiths, Red Jacket.
They did a commision for their local Sherrif's SWAT team.
They took reproduction Thompsons, which were single shot versions.
They converted them to auto fire, changed the barrels to heavier ones and these things were capable of emptying a 30 round mag in seconds!
They tried a one hundred round drum mag but it was too heavy (26lbs) and bulky for SWAT use.
When they demonstrated the conversion to the SWAT team, these guys were like kids in a toy shop!
December 24th, 2011  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Have you seen the series "Suns of Guns"? Its about a Louisiana gun smiths, Red Jacket.
They did a commision for their local Sherrif's SWAT team.
They took reproduction Thompsons, which were single shot versions.
They converted them to auto fire, changed the barrels to heavier ones and these things were capable of emptying a 30 round mag in seconds!
They tried a one hundred round drum mag but it was too heavy (26lbs) and bulky for SWAT use.
When they demonstrated the conversion to the SWAT team, these guys were like kids in a toy shop!
I watched that one, they also have a fascination for AK type shotguns.