question for the rotorheads out there

bigcanada813

Canuckus Maximus
i've got a question for all of the rotor heads out there. i'm doing a paper for one of my history classes, and i'm trying to answer the question of why did the US Army name all of their birds after native american tribes? if anyone can find anything about this, please, feel free to post them, i have but one request: no wikipedia. professors don't think too highly of it. thanks to everyone and anyone who helps out.

i've got a question for all of the rotor heads out there. i'm doing a paper for one of my history classes, and i'm trying to answer the question of why did the US Army name all of their birds after native american tribes? if anyone can find anything about this, please, feel free to post them, i have but one request: no wikipedia. professors don't think too highly of it. thanks to everyone and anyone who helps out.

You might want to do some research on the 1946 reg about assigning popular names. Both the Army and Navy adopted it.

As for why native American tribes, I believe it was because they used to use Indians as scouts and since the first helos were basically for recon, it just seemed fitting. That's what I always heard, anyway. The H-13 Sioux was the first one.

Back