question for people who like rap

behemoth79

what is it about rap that draws you to it? Ive given it a chance, i really have. I just cant fathom why people like such a IMO shallow genre of music. To me, what makes a great song is the lyrics. After reading many rap lyrics, i find that almost all of them lack consistency. its almost like they will put any two lines together as long as it rhymes at the end. Also, rap is one of the very few genres where after listening to a song, i actually feel stupider. Its a total waste of time for me. The only rap song that i have enjoyed is Mockingbird by Eminem. Its a great song up until the last 10 seconds of it. It flows well, words are nicely chosen, and unlike most other rap songs, it doesnt need a catchy beat to make it better.

If you disagree, try this experiment.
Go look at the lyrics to Get Crunk by Lil Jon.
Then go look at the lyrics to Dont Take The Girl by Tim Mcgraw

Hum well - hard question. I am not that much into rap (Beastie Boys, Tungtvann), but I listen to it as the beat is good and some of the lyrics is quite funny and/or great driving music.

Most of the lyrics are quite shallow - this 2 cent guy or whatever as an example... Some of the music is :cen: and sounds like they just had to put something together to fulfull the contract with the musiclabel...

rap is simple and it has strong downbeats making it easy to dance to, is simplicity makes it easily accessable. So for young people who want to dance and have a minimal level of intelligence (like most young people) it's the perfect concoction.

Plus there's all the "drama" between the different rap entertainers that makes the whole thing a soap opera.

I'm a big country music fan, but i do enjoy several rappers (2pac, eminem) I enjoy the beat and the actual meaning behind those two "artist" rather i agree or disagree with them.

Just because of a few crappy artists who talk about their ***** too much (EMINEM) people have judged all rap artists to be violent, rude, and stupid. But there are alot of artists out there who rap about some serious stuff. They rap about their life, their feelings, and the way they personally view the world. Its not bad, it just sounds diferent and they say **** alot.

That jus my 2 cents though.

Public Enemy is the only rap group have respect for; everything else is just posers blowhards and cash cows rehashing the same material that's been beaten to death for 15 years.

I can't stand rap music. I'm a big fan of country and 70's and 80's Australian rock.

If you disagree, try this experiment.
Go look at the lyrics to Get Crunk by Lil Jon.
Then go look at the lyrics to Dont Take The Girl by Tim Mcgraw

I looked at the "Get crunk" lyrics. They make no sense at all. What the hell?

there are a couple of artists who spring to mind....this come from someone who, as a rule cant stand hip hop/rap.

atmosphere; mainly political commentry or you could try sage francis, he's a white guy who's lyrics revolve around the world around him....**warning** SOME of you may not agree with his politics...but by christ he's talented! (and all this coming from a punk! what ever will my scene buddies think! lol)

Coming live from my own theater room,
Beautiful weather offered a nice shine,
Which is suitable for a full view of an altered skyline.
It's times like these I freestyle biased opinions every other sentence.
My journalist ethic slips when I pass some offensive gestures.
Don't give me that ethical shit.
I've got exclusive, explicit images to present to impressionable american kids,
and it's time to show this world how big our edifice is.
That's exsactly how they attacked,
with a typically dark-skinned disney villain.
Use civillians against civillians and charge the trojan horse into our buildings.
Using commercial aviation as instruments of destruction.
Pregnant women could have protected their children;
wheelchairs were stairway obstructions.
I had to back-pedal from the shower of glass and metal,
wondering if after it settles,
we'll find who provided power to radical rebels.
The melting pot seems to be calling the kettle black when it boils over,
but only on our own soil,
so the little boy holds a toy soldier,
and waits for the suit and tie to come home.
We're going to wait until he's older, though,
before we destroy hopes for a colder war to end.

mmm ive a fairly wide music range, jeff buckley the ramones the doors hothot heat mostly indie/alter i guess but i really cant stand rap. I just dont get it. Like how could you relax and listen to it in your gaff, mmm but i dont like pop either so i guess its just everyone has different taste

cpl_clarke said:
Just because of a few crappy artists who talk about their ***** too much (EMINEM) people have judged all rap artists to be violent, rude, and stupid. But there are alot of artists out there who rap about some serious stuff. They rap about their life, their feelings, and the way they personally view the world. Its not bad, it just sounds diferent and they say f**k alot.

That jus my 2 cents though.

these few crappy artists are all mainstream. they are mainstream because people like them and pay money for their records/concerts. A majority of rap fans prefer these crappy artists because they rap about sex, drugs, and breaking the law. The term "degenerate youth" was coined in the rap era.

and chewie, ive never heard of them. which means they arent mainstream. and by them not being mainstream supports my theory that most rap fans like the crap that is put out today.

WHispering death. i agree with you 100% Rap has great beats. i have the instrumental version of In The Club. I like the beats. But what does it say about a genre of music where people like the music more than the lyrics? It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that rap has horrible lyrics.

i agree with you 100% about the mainstream part. the larger audience someone (or something) has, the more dumbed down it has to be to appeal to that larger fan base. goes for pretty much everything.

"Well it's got a good beat and you can dance to it so I give it a 90."
(Only anyone over 50 can understand this)

well i'm a rock and heavy metal chick myself. guns n roses, motley crue, ac/dc, led zepplin, that stuff all the way to like system of a down, slipknot, and korn. some rap is ok, but overall i think it's completely overrated especially since half of them have no talent for writing what so ever. there's few real poets in the rap business.

Kina

Back