Question for our British brethren

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
I heard tell of this craze in England called I believe "Morris Dancing"... something about a puffy white shirt, bells on your shoes and a hankie... Wingnut even went so far as to tell me it was the "Official Dance of the Paras"

Do tell.

I am afraid Bulldogg that even when you would stumble across someone who participated in such an act, he'll not tell you so! Puffy white shirt and bells on your shoes... really, it sounds like one of the seven dwarves.

As I said... it's someting for the seven dwarves. Bagpipes, fiddles the whole lot, and hankies too! Excellent work!

A morris dance is a form of folk dance.

There are English records mentioning the morris dance dating back to 1448, which is also the year of the first known morris dance performance in England, and dances with similar names and some similar features are mentioned in Renaissance documents in France, Italy, and Spain. The origins of the term are uncertain, but one of the most widely accepted theories is that the term was "moorish dance" and "Moresco", which was gradually corrupted to "morris dance". Another is that it derives from the Romanian "morisca", which means "little mill". Another, perhaps simpler, explanation is that "Morris" comes from the Latin "Mores", meaning "a custom". This is consistent with the word (with various archaic spellings) sometimes being used to describe some other folk customs such as folk plays.[1]

In the modern day, it is commonly thought of as a uniquely English activity, although there are around 150 Morris teams in the United States. Expatriates form a larger part of the morris tradition in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. The dance is also practised in Barcelona, Spain, where it is performed by girls or women, and there are isolated groups in other countries, for example that in Utrecht, Netherlands. The traditional Căluşari dance of Romania resembles morris in many ways

morris.jpg

ripley3.jpg

morrisd.jpg

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

All I have to say is: read my previous post on this topic. They look like the have come from the Shire! And if it is about fertility... well the Halfling is located somewhere on the men :)

I needed this laugh... in fact I think I am up for starting me very own Morris dancing chapter in the Big Red Chicken... and from what I read Ted there is a group you can join right in your own backyard.

Up with fertility!! :)

bulldogg said:
I needed this laugh... in fact I think I am up for starting me very own Morris dancing chapter in the Big Red Chicken... and from what I read Ted there is a group you can join right in your own backyard.

Up with fertility!! :)

I have banned this group from my backyard. I refuse to have insurgents doing funny dances all night. I cut the flowers and poored concrete.... no more funny business in my backyard!!!

Hahahahahaha, I just had too much troubles with these little miscreants, and their women never paid me for the vertility bit either! I am done with the lot and their silly dances. You can come and get them if you want?

Back