Question about whether I should Enlist or Commission?

Daffydd

I'm currently 23, a senior in college, and planning on joining the Army. I've been talking to a recruiter who has been talking to me about enlisting rather than pushing for OCS. Now my main question is, how hard will it be for me to either go to OCS when I'm enlisted, or to Direct Commission. Also, how long would I have to be enlisted before either option would be open, and at that time how much, if not all, of my enlistment bonus would I loose?

Also i would like any feedback about whether or not people feel that having enlistment time is a bonus to being an officer, and if there is a prefered amount people feel is applicable.

Thank you for any replies!

Usually at basic if you show that you're a cut above your peers, the people running your training unit will recommend you to become an officer.

Good question. I actually was presented with the same issue back in may after I graduated. I ended up enlisting and now going in as a e4, 5k high grad bonus, and 65k loan repayment(I actually have over 80k of student loans). My mos is 19kilo and I'm doing a 3yr enlistment. If you go enlisted you will pick your mos and receive the loan repayment if the loans are federally backed. If u go officer u will have ur mos chosen for u, which will most likley be infantry, and no loan repayment. I am happy with what I have chose to do, except my parents of course. I leave for fort knox in oct for basic and I can't wait. Choose wisely but I can garentee u that a recruiter will want u to go enlisted because it is less work for him.

Yeh, I am leaning towards the enlistment option to kill off my student loans since after this year I'll have almost 50k. But, I still can't figure out how I'll be able to move to Officer once I'm in.

I've heard it a lot harder to get into OCS from Active than it is right outta the blue. But, then again I've also been told I won't even need to go to OCS and can directly commission once I get some time in.

As for the first part, I skipped OTS, or your OCS, and went straight enlisted. After being enlisted for as long as I have, I can tell you that in order to be a smart, and respected officer, enlisted backgrounds help. Just don't forget what it's like to be enlisted after you become an officer and go on the power trip I see so many Academy grads go on. Another thing, if you want to go OCS after or during your enlistment, it's both difficult and easy. You have to be selected from a filter process of sorts. Better be a good soldier :)

the only regret i have after 17 years of military service is that i did not enlist first. it would be a good experience for you.

Do like a lot of Navy Pilots do, go to college, get a degree in liberal arts, go to west point and come out an O1.

LOL alot of our officers have done that too. I never knew you could get a degree in underwater basket weaving before o_O

Good God almighty, finally after 46 years there IS somebody who knows what underwater basket weaving is.

Seriously though, yea I've fixed Helos for a lot of pilots who had degrees in liberal arts, I used to tell em it was underwater basket weaving and they'd get mad LOL
All except Lt Homan, he never got mad he thought it was funny, but then his degree was in mechanical engineering and he used to help me fix his helo.

Well, my degree will be in Computer Science, from a Liberal Arts College so... lol
I'm also looking at either 35m or 37f for my MOS.

Last edited:
Back