Pushups, having trouble.

--

March 14th, 2008  
Cdt Matteo

Topic: Pushups, having trouble.

Hey, I'm having lots of trouble with pushups and I can't do anymore than 22ish (sometimes 25). I'm doing my pushups right but I just can't do as many as I would like to. I do them every day, about 120 (20 each) but I can't get it over 20 per repitition. I'm stuck and being stuck at 20 pushups and Army Reserve in 2 years (33rd Combat Engineer Battalion), that isn't good. Could anyone give me some tips of any sort to improve my number of pushups per repetition?

As for sittups, I can do 200 without stopping and with a little sweat on my forehead if I'm wearing those wool socks that I'm issued by my Cadets. If not, no sweat, litteraly!

Thanks a lot in advance.
March 14th, 2008  
Team Infidel

I would say that any type of upper body workout you can get into will help. Obviously, bench press and tricep exercises will help build upper body strength for pushups. The key though, is endurance.

When you go through your initial training, you'll get 'dropped' for everything.....uniform not up to par, goofy expression on your face, being too "Hooah," getting sick, asking a stupid question, eating too slow, you name it. Depending on your training and the cadre, you can literally expect to do at least 1000 pushups a day.

In other words, having an upper body like Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't going to help you with military pushups. You want to develope strength, but also be able to pump them out all day long.

I'm no fitness guru, but I would suggest getting in the habit of doing pushups all the time....do a set when you get up in the morning, another before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner, and again before going to bed. Elevate your feet (on a chair or something...at least) and do four count pushups: "1, 2, 3, ONE; 1, 2, 3, TWO; 1, 2, 3, THREE..."

Do widearm, closearm, diamond, regular. ... ...

Do this in conjunction with your normal workout program (running, weights, etc). Hope this helps a little.

Good luck! Now, go beat your face!
March 15th, 2008  
AJChenMPH

And don't spend the money on those special push-up bars that you see on TV that were developed by a Navy SEAL for two easy payments of $19.95, but do get a cheap set of them. Back in the day, I used to do 20 push-ups every morning using push-up bars before I showered. One day, just for the heck of it, I started cranking out regular push-ups, and stopped at 70 -- and still felt like I could go on.
--
March 15th, 2008  
Maytime

Exaggerate the push-up form, i.e. if the standard is for your back to be at least parallel with your arms, exaggerate by going further (like all the way to the ground), so when you are tested, doing the standard is no sweat. Concentrating on quality over quantity, in my opinion and experience, is the key to doing well on tests. It may be hard at first, but after a while, when you're totally smoked from doing exercises all day long, at least you won't be worried about cadre yelling at you for your form.
March 15th, 2008  
LeEnfield

Stick to it, your level of fitness will improve with time
March 15th, 2008  
AFSteliga

Just keep working at it, but also make sure to give yourself a break once in a while. Doing nothing but upper body every single day can actually do more damage than good.

And as for the number of push ups in the run of a day, TI is a little off, as you'll only end up doing maybe 200-300 a day on BMQ, and it might ramp up a bit during SQ and subsequent training. 25 push ups is the maximum your staff can give you at one time, and they usually will only make you do them once per screw up.

In any even, good luck when you join up, and whatever you do, don't flaunt the fact that you were a Reservist when you join the Reg Force and come to RMC. Experience is good, but thinking that you're better than others isn't.
March 15th, 2008  
KJ

Drop yourself every hour on the hour for 20 PU,s.
You will soon be able to increase repetitions.
DO NOT trade endurance for form, keep them strict and you will in a matter of days be able to increase.
March 15th, 2008  
deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdt Matteo
Hey, I'm having lots of trouble with pushups and I can't do anymore than 22ish (sometimes 25). I'm doing my pushups right but I just can't do as many as I would like to. I do them every day, about 120 (20 each) but I can't get it over 20 per repitition. I'm stuck and being stuck at 20 pushups and Army Reserve in 2 years (33rd Combat Engineer Battalion), that isn't good. Could anyone give me some tips of any sort to improve my number of pushups per repetition?

As for sittups, I can do 200 without stopping and with a little sweat on my forehead if I'm wearing those wool socks that I'm issued by my Cadets. If not, no sweat, litteraly!

Thanks a lot in advance.
Like TI said, it's about acclimation and endurance. When I train, I think of it like this- people are depending on my strength and endurance, and that's my motivation to do well. Latch onto an idea like that, and don't accept anything less than 25 per set. Gradually increase your number of reps in a set per week- say, 20 one week, 25 for a couple, bump it up to 30 by the fourth, until you're up to fifty, then start tacking on more sets. It's as much a mental block as physical, and like these other guys said, keep your form to avoid injury and learning a crappy pushup.
March 16th, 2008  
Pale Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdt Matteo

Thanks a lot in advance.
Try backward arm dips, 5 sets of 10 repetitions every other day. Also start doing elevated push ups.
March 16th, 2008  
deerslayer

More good advice, but like I said- focus on quality, not quantity, and don't leave your form until you have the basic locked into muscle memory.