Pushups, having trouble.

I did another PT test at my cadets and I got 43 pushups. I can usually do 40 before I start feeling numb.
I also bumped from 50 situps in a minute to 60. I also did better in my running and long jump. I've been running a lot lately as well. Some girls at my cadets (nice looking ones too) complemented my PT, a lot. :)

I did another PT test at my cadets and I got 43 pushups. I can usually do 40 before I start feeling numb.
I also bumped from 50 situps in a minute to 60. I also did better in my running and long jump. I've been running a lot lately as well. Some girls at my cadets (nice looking ones too) complemented my PT, a lot. :)

Good. Keep up the good work.

Forget long jump and do high jump! Thats where the games at. Something about jumping over your own height is inspiring.

along with these guys great advice, try doing them with out counting, by getting close to 20ish you know it's when you usually stop, keep going! 110% every time.

Drop yourself every hour on the hour for 20 PU,s.
You will soon be able to increase repetitions.
DO NOT trade endurance for form, keep them strict and you will in a matter of days be able to increase.
Damn good advice that ^^^.

And now that you can do more than 30 I'll give you the next link in your road to friggin excellence stud...

* Week 1 & 2: Every other day
POSITION #1: Triangle push-ups (you should touch your thumbs to your xiphoid process (lightly!) when trying to touch your chest to the ground)
+ 5 partials
+ 5 complete
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
POSITION #2: Move hands to shoulder length apart (the tips of your fingers should be aligned with the tops of your sholders)
+ 5 partials
+ 5 complete
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
POSITION #3: Move your hands out until, during mid rep, your upper arms will be perpendicular to your forearms. The hands should remain in the same position relative to the shoulders (ie move them "out" in a straight line)
+ 5 partials
+ 5 complete
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
* Week 3: 2 days on, 1 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on
POSITION #1
+ Until failure
* Week 4 & 5: 1 on, 2 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on, 2 off; 1 on, 2 off; 1 on, 1 off
POSITION #1
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ 12 partials
+ 12 complete
+ rest 120 seconds
POSITION #2
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ 12 partials
+ 12 complete
+ rest 120 seconds
POSITION #3
+ 7 partials
+ 7 complete
+ 12 partials
+ 12 complete
* Week 6: 2 on, 1 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on
POSITION #1
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #2
+ Until failure
* Week 7 & 8: 1 off, 1 on; 2 off, 1 on; 1 off, 1 on; 2 off, 2 on; 1 off, 1 on; 1 off
POSITION #1
+ 15 partials
+ 15 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
+ 40 complete
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #2
+ 15 partials
+ 15 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
+ 40 complete
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #3
+ 15 partials
+ 15 complete
+ rest 90 seconds
+ 40 complete
+ rest 240 seconds
* Week 9: 2 on, 1 off; 2 on, 1 off; 1 on
POSITION #1
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #2
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
POSITION #3
+ Until failure
+ rest 240 seconds
* Week 10: 1 off, 1 on; 2 off, 1 on; 1 off, 1 on
POSITION #2
+ 100 complete
* Maintenance: Twice a week
POSITION #2
+ 100 complete

Written by Robert C. Shouse

Last edited:
I am unsure if the kid monitors this channel anymore.
No updates for a while..

I was going to give him the same advice, but not in such detail..hehe

Good work BD.

Last edited:
Let me put this out there, I see it all the time people get rapped around the axle when it comes to PT tests, they train to max out the PT score for promotions and such. A PT test is just that, it does not mean your fit for combat. I suggest you google the Marine Corps Fuctional Fitness publication.

Pass the PT test but your physical training should include way more than the lame PT test. http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,120956,00.html

There is a pdf on line some place I have it at work that shows the Marine Corps plan I did a quick google search and found the above article.

I agree with the Marine Corps just because you can get a 300 PFT score does not mean your truly fit for combat. I would suggest you check out the workouts at dragondoor or crossfit to really be ready.

Bottom line you have to pas your PFT granted but if your functionally fit you'll be much better off.

We in the western world have confuesed body sculpting with fitness.

true, as the PFT is more of just a tool for Commanders to use to asses an individual's as well as unit PT status. It is a foundation that should be continually built upon through realistic training exercises, ie. extensive ruck marches with heavier and heavier loads, have to be careful not to ruck too much though as undue damage on joints may occur. variety is as important to include in this, ie, swimming, aerobics with the wife...yes, it works

The PFT is a pretty good indicator of how well in shape an individual is, the test is pretty challenging if your shooting for the max. I always thought their should have been much more PT, I felt any less than 3 days a week of an organized run at least was slacking off. I don't know if humps did anything much for fitness, I always felt they were indeed good training for character building and instilling a sense of teamwork, never quitting, never leave a single marine behind and mission first mentality. Especially 25+ mile mofo's.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm having lots of trouble with pushups and I can't do anymore than 22ish (sometimes 25). I'm doing my pushups right but I just can't do as many as I would like to. I do them every day, about 120 (20 each) but I can't get it over 20 per repitition. I'm stuck and being stuck at 20 pushups and Army Reserve in 2 years (33rd Combat Engineer Battalion), that isn't good. Could anyone give me some tips of any sort to improve my number of pushups per repetition?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks a lot in advance.[/quote]

I used to really suck at push ups it was one of my hardest areas to prepare for, but i tried a program that worked wonders- i got from 15 push ups in 2 minuets to 48 in two minuets in about 3 months this is how it works.

This book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...imate-Basic-Training-Guidebook/Michael-Volkin

helped immensely, i followed it's training schedule and i made significant progress- enough to pass the APFT before i even enter.

The program worked like this:

You set the timer to two minutes and do as many push ups as you can. When the time expires you quickly write down the number and immediately do "Diamond push ups" until your muscles fail. Rest 4 minuets and repeat.

Do it for a total of 3 'sets' Push up, diamond, rest (1 set) Rest a day- then just do it every other day.

Resting your muscles is just as important as working them out..of course after you work them out..

Also helps to adjust position of hands, width between the hands and elevation of the body, do as many sets as your need but do at least 250 a day and should be ready to go in quicklike fashion.

How soon are you going to enter? I'm fortunate enough to have another year until i plan on entering, (September 11th 2009) and i completed the training program back around last March.

It dose hurt your wrists after a while though, especially diamond push ups- but hell it works and if you want a tested method that works the program works coming from my experiences with it at least.

In addition to my #32 post, I would also suggest in your however many, but at least 250 a day, one set ought to be a max set, the max set should be no less than 50 at one time.
Adjust the speed you do them, practice full range of motion as well as not all the way up and not all the way down too. Generally, the not all the way up/down ones ought to be as fast as possible.

Back