Pt

Lamm

I have a couple questions concering PT.
I have a Weight Training class at my High School, we lift weights for an hour on Monday/Wednesday/Friday...Tuesdays and Thursdays we work on speed and agility, we do sprints, foot work, etc.
When I lift, I do core lifts, bench, squat, clean, and deadlift, plus a couple other auxillery lifts. After school, I lift weights for about 30-40 minutes, all auxillery lifts.
MWF-pull=ups, sit-ups with weight, barbell curls, tricpeps, shoulder complex, and lats.
Tues/Thurs-pull-ups, sit-ups with weight, toe raises with weights, and a squat exercising which names escapes me at the moment.
After I lift after school, I go to Wrestling practice, we run, then wrestle. Then I sometime go home and do callisthenics-push-ups, sit-ups, etc.
Anyhow, to get to the point. Is this too much. I don't hurt myself, so I should be good to go. But the past week my bench max has gone down, a long with my clean max. Could this be to overtraining, or due to my muscles breaking down and reforming?
Also, should I be doing pull-ups everyday? And should I be doing sit-ups with weight?
I asked someone else this, and they said don't work the major muscle groups everyday, only every OTHER day. So, pull-ups, sit-ups, should be done every other day.
Opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing all this work for a few reasons-wrestling, track and field, and USMC boot camp.
Thanks,
Lamm

Seems to me you may be overdoing it a bit. You should concentrate on your upper body one day and lower the next day and switch them off and on. Make sure you are eating correctly. Get at least one day of total rest for your body per week. Somewhere here I posted my old workout schedule. Not sure what thread but I will look for it for you.

Here it is: http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14045

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry

Your reasons: "I'm doing all this work for a few reasons-wrestling, track and field, and USMC boot camp".

Doing all of the work you described is alright for the wrestling, track and field but:

If you are worrying about boot camp, forget it. No matter how fit you are or think you are, it won't be good enough for boot camp (the military branch really doesn't matter that much).

You will be considered to be a "slug" that is beneath any belief of "usefulness" and just barely worthy of "notice" except as a piece of sh.. er...ah... flesh to be molded into the perfect warrior.

If you can do 100 push-ups, you will be ordered to do 200 - if you can run the mile in 5 minutes 45 seconds, you will be pushed to do it under 5 minutes. No matter how good you are, it will never be good enough.

Being fit is not ALL bad. It WILL make it a little easier for you in the beginning phases or your training until your instructors can get a measure of your capabilities and then they will begin demanding more of you until you will begin to wonder if it was worthwhile expending all of the energy it cost you while you were still a civilian and pushed physical fitness so hard.

Don't sweat the small stuff - physical fitness is a good lifestyle choice even if you do not enter the military.

What Chief said is fact. I have many friends that have either joined the Army or Marines. Some say they thought it was hard. Some say that they were dissappointed that it was not hard enough. The one thing that they all agreed on is they got broken down. The thing that most people that have not experienced it themselves do not realize is there is the obvious physical breakdown, but sometimes the hardest obstacle to overcome is the mental breakdown. They are going to break you and build you back up. The most important thing is to keep a positive attitude and do not let them get you down. Do not think about the big goal. Think about small goals and accomplish them step by step. Hope that makes sense. Good luck on the future endevaors

Chief and 81 is telling you right.

Bootcamp is all about breaking all of your civilian habits and generating a whole new set of Marine habits. They want private #1 and private #99 to all react the same way in certain situations.

I don't think I would have survived the Marines, but I knew of guys I thought were real wusses that made it through boot.

My theory is that it's all mental attitude. If you give up on yourself you will fail. If you are determined you will succeed. At any rate, you can handle any boot camp for 12 weeks!!!

Well, that is great! I used to do Drills for every Saturday and lots of Hardcore PT on saturday. Now I have knee problem. Keep having aches on my right knee. Any idea what is the problem? The pain will come when I do walk long distances!

Back