Progress Reports

Well it had something to do with a DS's death in our unit so it was unexpected all around.

We have been doing a lot of bivouacing recently... more than another company did up to and including FTX (their FTX was broken up by thanksgiving...)

BCT is going well all around. Fun stuff and I cant believe its almost over. I have to go, again will post more on exodus (next week).

Bivouacing is an important skill to learn.
Get it right and you will be able to bivouac in very cold and austere conditions, the absence of fire in cold weather conditions will give you a tactical advantage when it comes time to use what you have learnt.

Don´t forget to have fun along the way and PT every second you get off.
You´ll need it where you are going.
Overachievers all around.
Have fun, never ever quit.

//KJ.

Bivouacing is an important skill to learn.
Get it right and you will be able to bivouac in very cold and austere conditions, the absence of fire in cold weather conditions will give you a tactical advantage when it comes time to use what you have learnt.

Don´t forget to have fun along the way and PT every second you get off.
You´ll need it where you are going.
Overachievers all around.
Have fun, never ever quit.

//KJ.

Roger. The bivouacing hasnt become that intense yet, even if it does seem like harsh the moment fire guard starts...:smil:

I am looking forward to using COLD Illinois weather to prepare me for Ga. winter weather and beyond.

I made a promise to a friend who has helped me, and I intend to keep my word.

Man... I remember when we had to pitch tents near a valley and the wind was just ferocious. We used the old A-tents that are probably the same stuff as World War II. Never did like those tents.
The only thing it can do is keep the rain out, and only if the ground doesn't flood. Preferred just using the sleeping bag with waterproof cover and the help of a poncho. It's easier to identify the lazy asses in the morning. We actually had some success doing that in the dead middle of winter. Wondered why we didn't do it again. A-tents are too heavy (especially old ones that have absorbed all kinds of stuff), take too long to put up and if you're attacked, are a ***** to crawl out of.
When we were in our sleeping bags all we had to do was open our eyes, grab our rifles and we were set to fight.
If I had it my own way I would even consider scrapping the tent altogether. Any words of wisdom from anyone else?

We used to pack hex tents on our big adventures in which we did not use, we would just crash out on our tanks. The infantry squads that were attached to my tank platoons in Korea got out of the habit of sleeping on the ground also, we would lock the turrets down and let them sleep on the back decks, that would keep them warm at nights. I was hardcore and used to use a German parka/sleeping bag while sleeping in the tank commanders position in a sitting position, I just felt more comfortable with my hand near the TCs over ride handle. In the event that we had to move out in a hurry all I had to do was unzipp the bottom portion of the bag and tie it at waist length and I was ready to go.

It's good to know I'm not alone about the whole tent thing.
What do you call that type of bedding, real uncomfortable but you tie it between two trees and you sleep on it. Thought that would also be good to pack because it's real light and keeps you or your stuff off the ground. Even if you don't suspend it or anything you could just put your pack and other equipment on it.
Hate tents... not to mention, they force your unit to stay in open ground. I don't want my guys hanging around anywhere without tree cover.

It's good to know I'm not alone about the whole tent thing.
What do you call that type of bedding, real uncomfortable but you tie it between two trees and you sleep on it. Thought that would also be good to pack because it's real light and keeps you or your stuff off the ground. Even if you don't suspend it or anything you could just put your pack and other equipment on it.
Hate tents... not to mention, they force your unit to stay in open ground. I don't want my guys hanging around anywhere without tree cover.

You must be referring to a Hammock, the U.S Army used to have one for jungle warfare that they would issue out to keep soldiers off the ground due to all kinds of critters that they would possibly encounter.

Back