Problems with wireless

--

July 25th, 2008  
sunb!

Topic: Problems with wireless

I run a wireless system in my appartment which has worked superb until recently when one or more of my installed computers automatically disconnect when I start IE, Opera or Firefox - it takes about five seconds for the authentification process to complete on the second attempt and then it is stable; the first connect is more than often all FUBAR slow and painfull - sometimes it won't connect at all... Feels like the router isn't broadcasting properly?

What's funny is that on the first connect I have 54.0 Mbps connection, on the second it drops to 48.0 Mbps. Makes me laugh, not....

I've been through the router config several times and it is exactly the way I configured it upon installation.

The router is a SNB5600 Phillips (not top notch but that's what my wallet could afford at the time of purchase), the network is WPA2 - AES CCMP, no 802.1x Authentication type nor protocol (No need for it...). A IP phone adapter is connected to the router along with two wireless DECT phones (the phones are 100% operative). All computers are MAC ID'd and there are no changes in the configs around on the computers that connect.

Any ideas for a quick solution?
July 25th, 2008  
Redleg

What OS and Firewall do you use??
I had a similar problem not long ago and I thought it was my router, but it turned out that Micro$oft had messed up an "update" so zonealarm users were blocked from the net...

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html
July 26th, 2008  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg
What OS and Firewall do you use??
WinXP and Symantec, could be some issues there that needs attention. Thanks for the tip
--
July 26th, 2008  
Lunatik

How many computers do you have connected to it? Does it happen only with a particular computer? Sometimes low-end wireless routers just won't deliver as they advertise when there are many clients in the swarm, most come with only 8 or 16 mb internal memory and can't handle all the auth keys going in and out.
July 27th, 2008  
c/Commander

Check any firewall software you may have installed; sometime Microsoft or Symantec updates break things. If you're running both the Windows firewall and the SYM firewall, turn one off, obviously. And, actually, as a diagnostic measure, try running with them both off for a couple minutes and see if it works better.
August 10th, 2008  
sunb!

Well I decided to kick the wireless out of the appartment and spent a couple of nights pulling cables through the walls - problem solved the easy way - but thanks for the feedback and suggestions people, I appriciate them all!
August 10th, 2008  
Redleg

KISS - Keep it simple stupid..
August 11th, 2008  
sunb!

^^^ Copy that
August 11th, 2008  
senojekips

If it works, it's a good result.

I've been toying with doing the same thing, although I'll have to go through the roof space, we have 57cm (23") stone walls here.
August 11th, 2008  
sunb!

Fortunately I have thin wood walls, standard insulation and pre-installed pipes for cabling telephones and TV to the other rooms in the appartment. The only fuzz I had was the wall sockets but the dog hasn't complained yet...