picking my job

Now see, being a groundpounder myself, I woudl argue that being in a nice cushy aircraft is hardly "being in combat." Althought I am Artillery, my last tour in Iraq 05-06, was as Provincial MP's. It was not at all what I thought It was going to be. We guarded convoys from one end of Iraq to the other and I was in charge of 12 females, who went on runs with us and saw plenty of activity and got plenty of Trigger time. Also as pointed out earlier, all of Iraq is a combat zone, even the "safe" bases get occasional morter and rocket attacks. Combat specific MOS's are out at this time for females, however, you cannot escape combat of some type once in country.

There are different types of MP's just so you know. Some are your traditional Police type, dealing with giving out speeding tickets and such. But during war, MP's take on a drastically different role, as I recently found out.

The bottom line is, you will get a dozen different answers as to what jobs suck and what jobs are great and they are all correct. Go with your gut instinct on this one, its usually the correct answer.

To me, one's experiences (in the military or in general) are what that person makes of them. If I'm running through the woods with my head on fire and say to myself, "This sucks," it will probably suck. Point being, dwelling on uncontrollable factors is a waste of time IMO, so it's best to drive on and complete the mission, however large or small that may be.

I don't want to put words in the Gunny's mouth, but I think that's what he was getting at near the end of his post.

Every job the Military has is needed in the Military, and all jobs have good points and bad points.
I'd rather people picked a job in the Military they would want to do, rather than tell them to pick what I wanted to do, or what I wanted them to do, and perhaps get them killed because of it.

well thats why i put it out here so i can get ome imput i want to pick a job that i will like and i thought yall ocould give me a hand with it because im a real choosey person everything i get from yall i ask my recruter

Being in a cushy aircraft with machine gun fire coming up and RPGs with delayed fuses in them going off around you ... I think that qualifies as combat.
And I'm a ground pounder too. I'm pretty much like infantry with a lot of additional responsibilities. But having things fly at you is combat to me.

Last edited:
EOD is probably the best way to go if you are female. It is a very hard core close unit and you are very much your own boss. You are the expert and do your work in the way you want. But of course I am prejudiced have spent over 20 years in usaf EOD. It does take a lot of smars though. But as I said

Back