Physical Fitness questions.

EuropeanAmerican

Hey, I was wondering what I could do to raise my endurance. I already run for 20 minutes each morning on weekdays before school and I do pushups and sit ups every night before bed. I was wondering what I can do to raise my endurance because it doesn't feel like i'm progressing. Any information would help, thanks.

Do more than just the basic exercises. Try new ones out, that way you increase your range of motion, overall endurance/stamina....and don't forget to vary them. After a while of doing the same exercises over and over again, progress sometimes slows down.

By varying your exercises and including muscles you haven't focused on before, it's like you're constantly challenging your body.

try wind sprints. short bursts rather than sustained runs. stopping and going are great. one of my favorite are called super chiefs. i use them on the freshmen football team all the time. you sprint 5yds then back. then 5yds back, 10yds and back. then 5, 10, 15 back. the total distance you go depends on your current level of endurance.

wind sprints are the key. variation as well. change up your routine, because when your body gets used to what its doing, it wont gain as fast.

I agree with the others - some variation would help.

When I was still seriously involved in distance running, one recommended training regime was something like:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Distance running.
Weekend: Sprint work in the style behemoth79 mentioned earlier.
Tuesdays, Thursdays: Stretching, arm and abdomen exercises.

Also you didn't mention your distance or type of terrain you were covering with your runs. The ideal terrain would be a mixture of hills and straights. If you are unsure of the distance you are currently covering, I'd suggest investing in a pedometer. They can keep track of how much you are actually running, and you can gradually increase both your distance and your speed.

Speaking of which, I ought to drag my lazy ass off the computer and towards my running shoes.

-Ramjet

Thanks for the advice. I live in arizona so i mostly run in flat areas. I usually run about 2+ miles, not sure exactly how much though. Thanks again for the advice.

Having been a former commander of a BT unit, I will have to tell you.. run, run, run Forest run. Variation is good because you need to stress certan muscles and doing the same workout just gets boring.

When you first get to do PT at basic, you will do 20 minutes of running for the first week or so, then it is increased throughout the trianing cycle.

Just try and be in good shape prior to coming to BT.

EuropeanAmerican said:
Thanks for the advice. I live in arizona so i mostly run in flat areas. I usually run about 2+ miles, not sure exactly how much though. Thanks again for the advice.

If the terrain is flat, you might want to try stairwork.

Also, I agree with Locke - swimming is a great form of exercise.

Im 17 and not in shape, can anyone give me a basic workout that i could do with out going to the gym to get ready for USMC BT?

FULLMETALJACKET said:
Im 17 and not in shape, can anyone give me a basic workout that i could do with out going to the gym to get ready for USMC BT?

These are some things I do sometimes.

1. Run on the treadmill for 30 minutes

2. 3 sets of 30 pushups

3. 3 sets of 30 v-ups

4. 3 sets of v-holds for 1 minute

And besides those, I just stay active. Don't just sit at the computer all day. Go out and play football with your friends, ride your bike. Do some exercise. For me, doing those things keeps me in shape. Also another thing, don't drink soda. (too much calories and sugar :/) Don't eat a lot of candy. I know both of those are really, really hard to do, but they help a lot.

A v-up is basically when you're laying down, you kind of get in a hollow position. It's kind of hard to explain. Pretty much just lay on your back, and bring your upper body (pretty much just shoulders and up) to your lower body (your tows). But you have to bring both of them up at the same time. You bring both of them up (upper body and lower body) and touch your hands with your tows. And do that about 30 times in a row. You probably never heard of them because they are from gymnastics. Not many people do them, but they are very good for staying fit. (at least for me.) If you still don't get what I mean on how to do it, just PM me. I'll try to explain it a little more. And for the v-hold. Basically the same thing, you just hold it there. You just bring your tows and knees off the ground a little and bring your shoulders and arms up a little and just hold that. It's for your abs. Very good workout. Do that a lot and I think you might be able to stay in shape. As I said before, just PM me anymore questions.

Endurance training

Strength

Heavy weight
4-6 repetitions
2-4 minutes recovery between sets

Hypertrophy

Medium weight
8-12 repetitions
1:00-2:30 recovery

Endurance

Light weight
15-25 reps
30 seconds to 1:00 recovery

but I dont follow this routine i lift heavy do multiple reps... also i do 100 pushups on workout days 200 or more on non workout days....

I do 75 w 10 pounders situps
50 crunches w 30 pounders

run idk my legs suck but you can do squats that works out ur quads and legs,etc...

If you run you should run longer than the physical fitness standards. ex: standards for navy are 1.5mile fun but actually run 2 miles when training....

well i think i typed to long so imma let you go.. hehe and also this is not really bodybuilding im just giving some tips on how i endurance train ..

all my workouts last about 1hr and 45 mins to 2 hrs....

also stretch every intense workotu to losen your muscles so you dont get cramps and drink plenty of water..

ok thats alll lol sry for the long um message hehe

If you are really serious I can design a program for you that involves strength training, not body building but strength training for the major mover muscle groups and some plyometrics. Otherwise stick to what Team Infidel told you, BT will sort out any fitness issues in quick order.

now when ur at the gym and doing wieghts, what u'd really want for BT is endurance, well, when ur lifting wieghts make sure to do at LEAST 10-12 reps and 3 sets of that machine. Now u dont wanna do the heaviest wieght where ur only doing one rep. Also, my favorite cardio thing is stadiums, that really get u :sleep:

Remember, unless things have changed, you'll be running in combat boots. Sometimes, we could take our jackets of and run in our shirts (T-shirts). Also, upper body strength is almost as important as lung capacity. Every day when we went to morning chow, we had to enter the mess hall on an overhand ladder. The length was about 30 feet and the ground was close to 6 feet. If you fell off, you had to go back to the end and start over. You also were stopping and waiting for the bigger guys moving slow and stopping. Great fun.

Ah, the good ol days. In basic back in 87 I never ran in boots we were told too many people got stress fractures in their lower legs from it. However in OCS we did sometimes. We also never had to earn our chow, though I think it should be done.

Bunch of candy fannies. :drill: Here's the way we did it at Ft. Polk.

Rifle_squad.jpg

Squad, route step, march!

bivouac2.jpg

Running and gunning.

PT.jpg

Separating the men from the girls.

Back