Phelps overcomes DQ to win 200 medley

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Even Michael Phelps can have a bad swim. The two-time Olympian was disqualified for a false start during the 200-meter backstroke Thursday during the opening day of the U.S. Open Swimming Championships.
It was the first time Phelps had been disqualified from a race since the 2001 World Cup in Baltimore.
"I knew something went wrong, and I heard the crowd when I went in the water," he said of the disqualification, which occurred when he flinched his arm on the starting block at Purdue's Boilermaker Aquatic Center.
The day also had its positives for Phelps. He set a meet record in the 200 individual medley with his winning time of 1 minute, 59.26 seconds, along with swimming on Club Wolverine's championship 800 freestyle relay team.
"The biggest thing about today was that I was able to get in the water three times and race hard," said Phelps, who won eight medals, including six gold, at the 2004 Olympic Games. "Being able to come in here and race was really important."
Katie Hoff won the women's 200 individual medley and set a meet record with a time of 2:11.58.
"I think I came through really well," said Hoff, who also finished sixth in the 200 backstroke and was part of North Baltimore Aquatic Club's 800 freestyle relay team that took third. "Overall, I'm happy."
Cullen Jones of the North Carolina State Aquatics Team set a meet record and won the men's 50 freestyle in 22.11 seconds.
Mark Gangloff won the 100 breaststroke, setting a meet record during Thursday's prelims with a 1:00.76. Margaret Hoelzer set a meet record en route to winning the women's 200 backstroke in 2:10.95.

Back