Patton and the Ranger - Page 4

--
Patton and the Ranger

February 17th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Patton and the Ranger
On a visit to HMS Victory, the tour guide told me that one of the roles of the Royal Marines at that time was as much to protect the officers from the crew as it was to fight the enemy sailors!
They were always billited between the officers and the crew and, ontop of the armoury.

In the Falklands war, a Blues and Royals Scimitar tank was credited with shooting down an Argentinian Mirage over San Carlos Water!
Durring an air raid, it was parked on the mountain side and it fired a burst from its 30mm Rarden gun and the Mirage was blown out of the sky.
Even the crew admit it was definately a lucky shot.

The Royal Horse Artillery are now Airborne troops I believe, but their origins were in having light, fast moving artillery to keep up with the cavalry
February 17th, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk

Many years ago, I was watching a documentary about the Falklands; the documentary was about the Royal Marines. They went to Falklands onboard an ocean liner, called the White Whale. The ship had also Paras onboard, according to the documentary; there was a huge problem to have these two units onboard the same ship. They had silly nicknames about each other due to the color of their berets; do the RM and the Paras have an issue to be close to each other? To be proud of the unit you belong to is one thing, but it seem it can be out of hand sometimes. I watched something similar about the Grenada, when the US Marines helicopter pilots refused to transport US Army Rangers.
February 18th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Many years ago, I was watching a documentary about the Falklands; the documentary was about the Royal Marines. They went to Falklands onboard an ocean liner, called the White Whale. The ship had also Paras onboard, according to the documentary; there was a huge problem to have these two units onboard the same ship. They had silly nicknames about each other due to the color of their berets; do the RM and the Paras have an issue to be close to each other? To be proud of the unit you belong to is one thing, but it seem it can be out of hand sometimes. I watched something similar about the Grenada, when the US Marines helicopter pilots refused to transport US Army Rangers.
The Canberra was unlucky according to a work mate who was one of her helmsmen years ago. He recounts that she was always in trouble of some sort, such as when she was on cruise heading towards Aussie with a lot of elderly/senior citizens on board, she had to run from a extremely bad storm. Apparently the elderly passengers were dropping dead all over the place, they had to put a number of them in the ships freezers. He finally said, "If she comes back I'll be very surprised." Thankfully as we all know, she did come back much to my work mates surprise.
--
Patton and the Ranger
February 18th, 2012  
captiva303

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
If my memory is correct the Grenadier Guards wear a white plume on the left side of their bearskin as a mark of some dishonour (I cannot remember where or why). The Coldstream Guards wear a red plume. The old Royal Army Ordnance Corps also wore a dishonour on their cap badges. The three cannon are smaller then the three cannon balls above, because the regiment supplied the wrong size cannon balls to a certain battle. Again I cannot remember when and where.
The coldstream had to surrender there arms to the grenadiers. Upon their return from Flanders with Charles as the grenadiers were so loyal to the king the followed him into exile.where as the coldstream guards fought for Cromwell. So maybe its the cold stream who have the white dishonour (?)... it also the explains the rivalry between the 2, that trooper mentioned...
February 18th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva303
The coldstream had to surrender there arms to the grenadiers. Upon their return from Flanders with Charles as the grenadiers were so loyal to the king the followed him into exile.where as the coldstream guards fought for Cromwell. So maybe its the cold stream who have the white dishonour (?)... it also the explains the rivalry between the 2, that trooper mentioned...
Thanks for the information captiva.
February 18th, 2012  
42RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
On a visit to HMS Victory, the tour guide told me that one of the roles of the Royal Marines at that time was as much to protect the officers from the crew as it was to fight the enemy sailors!
Still part of the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
We're both arrogant bastards, but hostility as such is a thing of the past. Today, we cross train much more than we did before, and are inserted into the same war zones. Of course there will always be taunts between us, but generally Iíve not experienced major problems. And though I hate to admit it, I would rather have a cherry berry cover my back than any other units from the British Army.
February 29th, 2012  
lolwhassup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
Yep, and damn good warriors those USMC.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsFZG3J3f58"]War Machine - Tyler Jay - YouTube[/ame]

These guys were 0311 in Iraq. haha
February 29th, 2012  
5.56X45mm

Once again any rational understand of the UK and it's armed forces makes me simply happy to have served in the US Armed Forces. Our order of battle and inter service rivalry is simple.

Anything that isn't US Army is wrong.

Oh.... also the USAF should be disbanded.

Combat Air Support should be a role of the US Army. Inter and Intra theater air transport should be with the US Army also. Strategic Bombing, ICBMs, Theater Air Control, Fighter/Interception, and Space should be in what ever left over scraps exist and should be formed into a new USAF.

The USAF should not have complete control of fixed wing aircraft (still can't figure out how the US Navy and USMC got to keep their birds). I think it has something to do with the revolt of the admirals back in the late 1940s or early 1950s.

The USMC is the red headed step child of the military, the US Navy are sea going bell hops, and the USCG are a bunch of puddle pirates that get scared when they're too far away from shore.
October 21st, 2012  
FireForEffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
Once again any rational understand of the UK and it's armed forces makes me simply happy to have served in the US Armed Forces. Our order of battle and inter service rivalry is simple.

Anything that isn't US Army is wrong.

Oh.... also the USAF should be disbanded.

Combat Air Support should be a role of the US Army. Inter and Intra theater air transport should be with the US Army also. Strategic Bombing, ICBMs, Theater Air Control, Fighter/Interception, and Space should be in what ever left over scraps exist and should be formed into a new USAF.

The USAF should not have complete control of fixed wing aircraft (still can't figure out how the US Navy and USMC got to keep their birds). I think it has something to do with the revolt of the admirals back in the late 1940s or early 1950s.

The USMC is the red headed step child of the military, the US Navy are sea going bell hops, and the USCG are a bunch of puddle pirates that get scared when they're too far away from shore.
Amen, I kept up with some of it but other parts I got lost in, in all seriousness though, you could say its expected because of the difference in how young the US vs UK(et all) is.
Theres a reason it says "Right way, wrong way and then the Army way" in our books
The Air force is literally a straight break off from the US Army Air Corps. so it stands to reason they took our aircraft but left the USN out of it (USMC = Men's dept of the USN)

Speaking to our own rivalries, it's always fun to start talking about the first combat jumps into Iraq/AFG with anyone from the 82nd...
You can sum it up with there being more rivalry between the high op-tempo combat arms units because we're all adrenaline seeking misfits to begin with...and then Airborne vs the legs and so on.