Patriotism and perverted patriotism

--
Boots

May 7th, 2004  
Spyfly

Topic: Patriotism and perverted patriotism

I am wondering where is the line between just patriotism and perverted patriotism. what is the point of patriotism today?
May 7th, 2004  
Marksman

Suporting your people,your nation,not too much like "we are the best"that is perverted patriotism,so keep it cool
May 8th, 2004  
Pogue

it is a fine line between patriotism and nationalism. I think nationalism is a better term that would suit your question better than "perverted patriotism"
--
Boots
May 8th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman
Suporting your people,your nation,not too much like "we are the best"that is perverted patriotism,so keep it cool
So, you want citizens of their own country not to believe they are the best? If they don't believe they are the best, they'll move to whatever country they assume is the best - and then we are back and square one.
May 8th, 2004  
Jamoni

I think maybe it's more like, the citizens of our country believe they are better than other people.
May 8th, 2004  
Darkmb101

Here are my definitions of the two.

Patriotism- i have faith in my country for its one of the greatest.

Perverted Patriotism- i have faith in my country and it could, should and
would take over the world because we are better than you.
May 8th, 2004  
Spyfly

Well which countries do you consider to be worser than yours than? I dont think that we should consider our country best or better... this is how racism begins. You start thinking that your race is better than the countries that is next to you. This way you consider yourself better than others...and i think that nationalism is a close word but i wouldnt replace it....in a few countries nationaism is mistaken for natzis. and there is the difference.
May 8th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: well

Quote:
this is how racism begins
Well, obvcourse this is untrue. Racisem refers to race, and you are talking about countrys, hence(even though you say it's not) this is NATIONALISEM. The Nazis were nationalists, but they were also racists and facists, these things are somewhat related but not the same. I know many nationalists that I do not see as racists. Now, I dont see why it's bad to think your country is a good place to live, or even think that it is the best place, as long as you realise that this is only true for you, and that you should never impose these opinions on other people.
May 8th, 2004  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmb101
Here are my definitions of the two.

Patriotism- i have faith in my country for its one of the greatest.

Perverted Patriotism- i have faith in my country and it could, should and
would take over the world because we are better than you.
yeah i think you are right.
May 12th, 2004  
Spyfly

ooops...i guess i did something wrong to go off topic on that one....my mistake. America is a very specific continent after all it s a mix of every country in the world...and my point with racism wasnt directed to the americans....or australians In europe, africa and asia countries usually have only one race, sorry if im wrong here. I personally belive that usa is the most powerfull country in the world and perhaps bacuase of that also the best country....so i will never be able to think that my country is better than usa...yeah ok there are few better things about it but those are so minor that it is even hard to compare. i think that americans are strong patriotists because theyre country is the best and they are aware of it. but sometimes when i see a car with all those us flag stickers, or god bless america, or all those flags when you go down the us road. I have never seen anything like this in other countries...i think that americans shouldnt show their pride so much.....after all pride is a sin.