other 4 8.70%
Nulli, you think too much 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

June 4th, 2005  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Topic: Pain

Post your philosophy on pain and why. I believe that it's more of a state of mind, like peace. Since you can, more or less, shut out the pain. You can do this by not listening to your body. When you listen to your body then you tend to quit because everything is to hard for the body. But your mind knows the limits of your body. And when you shut out your mind you can do incredible things (shutting out your mind from what you're doing, at least). For instance; I used to run to school everyday last year. It was about two miles and every now and then I would get a runnerís high by, basically, shutting out my mind from the running. And I found that by doing so I was able to get to school faster and I felt no pain or fatigue. The saying "Pain is weakness leaving the body" is also true, IMO. Because, for the most part, when you feel pain your body creates a tolerance to pain in or on that part of your body. And, at times, raising your over all tolerance to pain. Does anyone agree or disagree?
June 4th, 2005  
A Can of Man

It really depends on what kind of pain, but yes the stuff you get from running, you shut it out.
What you hit is a 2nd wind and running just starts to get a bit automatic.
June 4th, 2005  
C/2nd Lt Robot

So, theoretically, it's transitory perpetual motion. Correct?
--
Boots
June 4th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I guess... but by running 2 miles, pain shouldn't really be an issue.
June 4th, 2005  
Molly Pitcher

Smack your thumb with a hammer and then tell me pain is weakness leaving the body or a state of mind.
June 4th, 2005  
behemoth79

"Pain is weakness leaving the body" was the motto for two-a-days for my football team.
June 4th, 2005  
Whispering Death

nulli, the experience you had while running was your brain firing off endorphins which block pain receptors.

Ever had sex in a car and didn't realize your leg was in a REEEEAL uncomfortable position until after you completed the act? Same thing.
June 4th, 2005  
Whispering Death

anyway, to answer your question you had to define "what is the mind" and "what is the relationship between the mind and the brain" and "what is the relationship between pain and the bran" and "what is the relationship between pain and the mind" all of which will take humanity longer than your lifetime to figure out
June 4th, 2005  
Redleg

Quote:
Nulli, you think too much
June 4th, 2005  
AlexKall

Pain is a state of mind

Its singals to the brain, you can shut these signals off!