Osprey Headed Into Combat - Page 3

--

March 4th, 2006  
zander_0633

Oh! well, that's always the case if the Army wants something badly!
March 4th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander_0633
Oh! well, that's always the case if the Army wants something badly!
The Army wasn't involved on this project, it's Marine Corps/Air Force toy.
March 4th, 2006  
zander_0633

Oh! sorry! wrong answer!
--
March 4th, 2006  
LeEnfield

The aircraft has a great of possibilities, and like any totally new design there will be bugs in it and there will be crashes, as there are crashes still today with aircraft that have been flying for years. The only main problem I can see is trying too use this plane in desert conditions when it is going to cause one hell of a dust storm with those huge props. the main problem when it does a vertical landing in those conditions the pilot can't see the ground
March 4th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, there would be a sand cloud covering the view! I think the soliders would also have a huge problem!
March 4th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
The aircraft has a great of possibilities, and like any totally new design there will be bugs in it and there will be crashes, as there are crashes still today with aircraft that have been flying for years.
It's a little more involved and a lot darker than that with the Osprey.
March 5th, 2006  
zander_0633

Oh! like how?
March 31st, 2006  
G Connor

I just can't see this as a practical war fighting platform. Special Ops...maybe. Peacetime Search and Rescue...maybe. war fighting...I don't see it happening successfully.
March 31st, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Connor
I just can't see this as a practical war fighting platform. Special Ops...maybe. Peacetime Search and Rescue...maybe. war fighting...I don't see it happening successfully.
You actually have it a little backwards. I say that because it's actually a better conventional transload/transport platform than anything else. CSAR/SOF have to have very specific mission capabilities and the CV-22 cannot accomidate a good majority of them at this time, and probably never will.

It isn't a practical SAR platform at all. So impractical that we're not even looking at it for the new CSAR-X. Down in NOLA after hurricane Katrina we couldn't even think about using the 53s for hoist rescues, the 60s were having a hard enough time getting into the tight spots, knocking stuff off of roofs and breaking things from the rotor wash. The -22 would have blown the people off of their roof tops, and would have had to hoover 40 to 60 feet higher. Not to mention it would have been a ***** trying to find an LZ for it. The size, heat, downwash, and lack of AIE methods (just to name a few things) make it completely out of the question for SAR.

Special Operations falls under "war fighting," btw.
April 1st, 2006  
zander_0633

Ok, maybe Osprey can replace the C-130 or Globe master in transportation to hard to land places or places without airfield.