operation Barbarossa question?

chrisc

Does anyone know which officers were responsible for drawing up the plans for operation Barbarossa?
Thanks for any info.

Have you tried to do a search on Google or Wikipedia or any other search engines or are you too lazy and want someone here to do it for you?

Here is what I found very quickly using Ask.com:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=operation+...rylearningsite.co.uk/operation_barbarossa.htm

Plans for the attack on Russia had been around since 1940. It is now thought that Hitler lost interest in the Battle of Britain as he was far too focussed on his desired attack on Russia.
The first version of the plan was done by Marcks in August 1940. He envisaged a massive attack on Moscow – his primary target. He also wanted a secondary attack on Kiev and two masking attacks in the Baltic towards Leningrad and in Moldavia in the south. After Moscow had fallen, Marcks wanted a drive south to link up with the attack on Kiev. The attack on Leningrad was also a secondary issue.
The next version of the plan was completed in December 1940 by Halder. He changed Marcks plan by having three thrusts; a major one against Moscow, a smaller attack on Kiev and a major attack on Leningrad. After taking Moscow and Leningrad, Halder wanted a move north to Archangel. After Kiev had fallen, he envisaged a drive into the Don/Volga region.
The third and final variant was Hitler’s plan which he codenamed Barbarossa. This plan was constructed in December 1940. For Hitler, the primary military activity would take place in the north. Hence Leningrad became a vital target as did Moscow. His drive in the south was confined to the occupation of the Ukraine to the west of Kiev.

I don't appreciate the comment, i did try to search found nothing and thought there might be some very smart military people hear who would know off the top of their head.sorry if I offended anyone. Thank you for the info, I do appreciate it.

Does anyone know which officers were responsible for drawing up the plans for operation Barbarossa?
Thanks for any info.

While this doesn't answer your question I would recommend "Lost Victories by Erich von Manstein" as he has a little bit to say on the differences between Hitlers thinking and that of the OKH and his belief that the lack of a unified strategy between the two groups that ultimately lead to failure.

On 6 September 1940, Colonel-General Franz Halder, Chief of Staff of the Army, directed the preparation of plans which were ready by late November, including war games indicating the limits of the forces and logistics needed to support such a massive operation. In early December, Halder discussed the plan with Hitler, who refused to decide whether the basic objective should be Moscow or Leningrad and the Ukraine. This lack of strategic direction haunted the operation, but Halder and OKH (Oberkommando des Heeres, the Army High Command) were confident that Russia could be defeated.
Barbarossa was planned as a ten-week campaign that would start on 15 May 1941, allowing for many months of favorable weather. But events elsewhere delayed implementation of the plan: the Afrika Korps was dispatched to North Africa (February 1941) and German troops were required in Greece and Crete to assist the weak Italians.

Last edited:
While this doesn't answer your question I would recommend "Lost Victories by Erich von Manstein" as he has a little bit to say on the differences between Hitlers thinking and that of the OKH and his belief that the lack of a unified strategy between the two groups that ultimately lead to failure.

On 6 September 1940, Colonel-General Franz Halder, Chief of Staff of the Army, directed the preparation of plans which were ready by late November, including war games indicating the limits of the forces and logistics needed to support such a massive operation. In early December, Halder discussed the plan with Hitler, who refused to decide whether the basic objective should be Moscow or Leningrad and the Ukraine. This lack of strategic direction haunted the operation, but Halder and OKH (Oberkommando des Heeres, the Army High Command) were confident that Russia could be defeated.
Barbarossa was planned as a ten-week campaign that would start on 15 May 1941, allowing for many months of favorable weather. But events elsewhere delayed implementation of the plan: the Afrika Korps was dispatched to North Africa (February 1941) and German troops were required in Greece and Crete to assist the weak Italians.
Be cautious with memoirs,their essence is:victories are mines,defeats :the fault of the others. The dispatch of the Afrika Korps (initially ONE division) did not delay Barbarossa,nor did Marita (Greece ) .The delay was due to the weather and the invasion of Yougoslavia .

On this one von Manstein wins based on the "He was there and as such probably has a better understanding of the reasons for the delay then either of us" rule.

I would probably agree with you had it been about individual battles or performance but I don't think he needs to glorify himself over inconsequential dates.

I think it's generally accepted that Halder was chiefly responsible along with Hitler for drawing up the plans for Barbarossa.

Thanks for any info.

Mannstein, Halder and quite a few more whos names you probably only will get by digging in the german archives of the generalstab and other departments. Such planes are not exclusevly made by high ranking generals but by subordinate officers, just as laws arent made by ministers but by their subordinates.
For an Example, you may look up the "battle of Tannenberg". Hindenburg was credited for winning it, if you really read a bit about it, he was not the mastermind behind it. And even there, you will not find anything about any subordinate officer involved into making the plans.

Back