One-Winged F-15

No surprise,Isreal has good fly boys,Im not shocked a bit by that.Now if you would have said it was a F 16 pilot,that would be shocking!

I know,I would have said something along the lines of "screw this,Mr.Navigator,we are ejecting!"And just be done with it.

Oh, so THIS is the case that was alluded to in Richard Herman's book "Firebreak" (novel about a USAF F-15E squadron based at Incirlik). There was some speculation by the characters (which I'll assume is based on some of the investigation that was done by the McDonnell-Douglas folks) that the big tail on the F-15 also provides a lot of stability and roll control.

As for ejecting...ask any pilot, if the plane's controllable (which it was in this case) and they can get it home, they'd rather stay in the plane.

(EDIT: yes, for you die-hards, there are NO Strike Eagle squadrons based at Incirlik -- this was a novel.)

Last edited:
Well what if he lost a heck of alot of more fuel.Then what? It may be controlable but losing fuel ,and fast!What would it come down to?I mean you make sense no doubt,its just....

Well, if you flame out or if your plane is on fire, then you don't have a choice -- time to give that one back to the taxpayers, as the saying goes. But I've yet to meet or hear of a pilot that would rather punch out as opposed to bringing the bird home safely (if they could).

EDIT: not to mention that an ejection is VERY hard on the body. You're hit with 30+ G's of acceleration as you're rocketed out of the plane, and you hope you don't catch an arm or a leg on the way out (a fair number of pilots who eject get broken limbs). A lot of pilots who've ejected report back problems, and some are even a couple of inches shorter immediately post-ejection (they usually get those inches back over time). (Gawd, taken out of context, that last sentence sounded really dirty!)

Last edited:
An airborn F15 with no fuel,hmmm...,I wonder how that will come down?Kiding your right,pilots are trained to bring back their bird in one peice if they can.Its actualy kinda funny,your trained to bring your ultimate crouch rocket back in one piece,but if nessesary fly into a war torn sky full of radar guided sams,supersonic high explosive AAA bullets,kegdes ,keglars,Mikoyans,J7s,J10s or some other aircraft with ememy pilots piosed to bring you out of the sky with any means neccesinsary.

Im just saying its kinda humoruis....But I shouldnt be saying that,war is hell...

Back