Oh my god, South Park mocks Irwin

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
irwin271006_228x375.jpg

The creators of South Park have never been afraid to upset celebrities - and many of the show's viewers.
From jokes about religion and homosexuality to four-letter tirades, Trey Parker and Matt Stone have always mixed shock tactics with satire in the hit cartoon series.
But they were accused of hitting a new low last night after lampooning the demise of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin just weeks after his death.
The latest episode shows an animated Irwin in Hell with a stingray poking out of his bleeding chest.
Irwin, 44, died in September after he was impaled by a stingray's barb, while snorkelling near the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
The South Park episode called Hell On Earth 2006, which was broadcast in the US this week, shows Satan preparing to host a Hallowe'en fancy dress party.
Hundreds of dead celebrities are invited, including rapper Notorious B.I.G., Princess Diana and Hitler.
But at the party Satan receives complaints from his guests that someone is inappropriately dressed up as Irwin.
Satan confronts Irwin but the Aussie environmentalist protests it is really him, not a guest in a costume.
While characters have been killed off in the series before – spawning the show's catchphrase "Oh my god, they killed Kenny!" – campaigners are particularly incensed about the stingray still being attached to Irwin's bloodstained trademark khaki shirt.
British broadcasting watchdog Mediawatch condemned the episode as "grossly insensitive."
Its director, John Beyer, said: "I think this is in bad taste. Steve Irwin's family are still grieving."
"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive. It is not what the family would want to see." South Park maker Comedy Central defended the episode. A spokesman said: "It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."

I feel sorry for his families loss, but the guy did some pretty outrageous stuff in his career and was very dangerous to himself as well as others. I'm actually surprised that he hadn't bought the farm earlier.

The basic premise of "you play with fire and you are going to get burned" should apply. He played with fire and did get burned. It is my sincere hope that he isn't now burning for eternity.

Quite disgusting. Sure he's a prime candidate for parody, but not so soon. At this time it is offensive to even his fans, forget family!

:cen: 'em if they can't take a joke. Its no worse than Jay Leno and David Letterman or Billy Connoly. Famous people, dead or alive, are the chum for the rest of society. If you don't like it, vote with your feet. If no one watches they'll be out of work and stop making shows you don't like.

I wonder if specific things like this also garner them better ratings. Thats all ther accountable to.

I don't know, I never watch South Park because of their content. I don't want it in my home. Just like I don't let the grandkids watch the Simpsons at my house, I like the show and think it's funny but I don't want my little tape recorder going around telling everyone: "Don't have a cow man"

There used to be a code commission that would review what could be broadcast, that has long been disbanded. I think that form of protection might have been good for us even today.

Everyone likes to see naked women and shootem up movies, but I don't think naked women should be on the tube for everyone to see. I guess there is a time and place for everything.

Ive said this before, it seems very versitile to..

The ones who care dont know,
And the ones who know dont care...

This one , along with many other recent TV offenses will be swepted underneath the rug, and in time, very little time, I am sure most of us on this thread wont have this topic on the top of our heads.

It simple human nature, and those big TV buffs, you know , the ones with millions from Amercia's TRUE favorite pastime? Will just sit back in their big leather chairs and chuckle as the cash flows in....

Ive said this before, it seems very versitile to..

The ones who care dont know,
And the ones who know dont care...

This one , along with many other recent TV offenses will be swepted underneath the rug, and in time, very little time, I am sure most of us on this thread wont have this topic on the top of our heads.

It simple human nature, and those big TV buffs, you know , the ones with millions from Amercia's TRUE favorite pastime? Will just sit back in their big leather chairs and chuckle as the cash flows in....

I would love to reply to what you've said, but it just doesn't make sense. Care to clarify it?

What I mean is,

there are so many offenses on TV these days, but, the TV corperations are getting less and less weary about what the put on TV , why? Tell me, honestly, do you think, anything, anything at all will be done? Hmm?

10 years ago, maybe, 20yrs before that. If that happened with some loved celebrety, or religion, or poliction, the public out cry and TV censors would be devastating for a large TV company.

But now, oh, now its all different, like with South Park and Iriwn. What do you think is gona happen? Nothing, and what about all this years other, and future offenses on TV , do you think people would speak out agaist that? Nope, no, they will not.

Even if some one did do something, it would take millions of dedicated people to stop it from airing. But most likely even then, the TV companies, would , even if confronted with a lawsuit, would still air while the top men of the company are at court,thus, saying, they would make all the money lost in court and from lawsuits, back, in a very short amount of time.

What I mean is,

there are so many offenses on TV these days, but, the TV corperations are getting less and less weary about what the put on TV , why? Tell me, honestly, do you think, anything, anything at all will be done? Hmm?

10 years ago, maybe, 20yrs before that. If that happened with some loved celebrety, or religion, or poliction, the public out cry and TV censors would be devastating for a large TV company.

But now, oh, now its all different, like with South Park and Iriwn. What do you think is gona happen? Nothing, and what about all this years other, and future offenses on TV , do you think people would speak out agaist that? Nope, no, they will not.

Even if some one did do something, it would take millions of dedicated people to stop it from airing. But most likely even then, the TV companies, would , even if confronted with a lawsuit, would still air while the top men of the company are at court,thus, saying, they would make all the money lost in court and from lawsuits, back, in a very short amount of time.

The only way to have an impact with television is to hit them in the pocket book. Write to the sponsors of the show and tell them as long as the show in airing that you will not purchase their products. With enough responses the plug will be pulled.

Hmmm, possibly, But I dont know, it would be tough, I dont think enough people in America would put forth that much effort...For something almost so simple.

Plus every Amercian has his or her own favorite TV shows, chances are, if some thing like that happened on one show, then, depending on the Age Group, and interests group, what do you think would happen in some age groups?

Nothing much would be done, even if a heavy offense is made, some groups would do very little. Thus it would be harder and harder to get some shows to get pulled.

Hmmm, possibly, But I dont know, it would be tough, I dont think enough people in America would put forth that much effort...For something almost so simple.

Plus every Amercian has his or her own favorite TV shows, chances are, if some thing like that happened on one show, then, depending on the Age Group, and interests group, what do you think would happen in some age groups?

Nothing much would be done, even if a heavy offense is made, some groups would do very little. Thus it would be harder and harder to get some shows to get pulled.

If you had the inside information on the Neilson families you could email all of them and just tell them to never watch certain shows, when the numbers tank so does the show!

You wouldn't have a copy of that list would you?

Lol! No, Sorry Senior Chief, I dont,

But, that, jsut maybe, maybe would work! But then , if it works to well, we may have the power to control what shows air and what ones dont, then we would be hypocrites!

(Gasping in background)
Oh no!

But, I do think, although radical, it may be logical, it seems a good way to strike from the inside!:thumb:

One, it's South Park. Two, it's comedy central.

Please, humor is humor. Sure, Steve Erwin was a good guy but still. His death was made fum of. I watched that episode and laughed. Am i wrong, do I have no soul. Nope, I just have a sense of humor. It was done out of humor not disrespect.

Disrespect was what John Kerry did with his "joke".

Ironically, Family Guy didnt air a show "I need a Jew" (it was on the season DVD), becuse FOX said it was offensive. I found that hillarious, as the only stereotype it used was that Jews are very good with money, and Peter tries to get Chris to become a Jew, so he would make a lot of money in his life.
Too bad, it was a funny episode overall, and it didnt compare at all to most things they've done, in terms of offensivness or shock-value.

Back