Officer Selection Battery (OSB) Anyone know anything about?

I went to my recruiter and I'm starting an OCS packet for the US Army. He told me I have to take the OSB (per his regulation book) but he knows nothing about it. Anyone here familiar with it? Know what kind of questions it asks? Where can I get more info about it? I tried google.com but it returned no results.

Thanks.

NEVERMIND

After doing some research, I found that the OSB is no longer applicable in the US Armed Forces.

Now its based solely on your GT Score on the ASVAB.

Re: NEVERMIND

catalinargonzalez said:
After doing some research, I found that the OSB is no longer applicable in the US Armed Forces.

Now its based solely on your GT Score on the ASVAB.
I was told that the ASVAB is strictly for enlisted personel and that during officer selection it doesn't really weigh much. I maybe wrong, but if that was the case, how is your GT score relevant to officer selection?

My GT Score

Yea, you need a GT score of 110 or higher on the ASVAB in order to be considered for OCS. I got a 127, so I'm good on that.
I'm currently putting my OCS packet together with my recruiter.
I just finished the one page essay on why I want to be an officer and the next thing is to go get my pics done at Barksdale AF. The final thing is going up in front a board that will recommend (or NOT) acceptance to OCS. If I do get accepted, I will be enlisting under MOS 9D, which is guaranteed OCS after BCT. (I've checked all this stuff out on the internet)

I wasn't aware of the GT score thing. But my score was well above 110 so I don't think I have to worry. As far as I knew all you needed for OCS/OTS was a 4-year degree. From what my recruiter told me I have a higher chance of being accepted into OCS/OTS if you go recruiter, which makes a lot of sense since they look at your experience. But that was probably his hook for trying to get me enlisted.

My ROTC essay was why I want to be in the Army. I ended up writing about how I wanted to fly helos, which was along the same route.

Anyway, good luck with that.

I vaugely remember my ROTC essay. I must have done something right because they gave me a full ride scholorship to a private college. :lol:

It is based solely on the GT score for the Army. I couldn't tell you about other branches. I decided to go enlisted THEN officer 3-4 years down the road. I am looking forward to my MOS. With officer you can basically be put ANYWHERE, at least with enlisted you get a choice of the job area.

I did ROTC for a year and had to drop my scholorship because I changed my Major. (It was specific for Nursing) The army wasn't prepared to give me another scholorship so I waved bye bye.

It is EXTREMELY hard to get to accepted to OCS straight in from civilian. They are almost overly critical of you. I toyed with the idea but for me it was better to go in and be a grunt for a couple years. Get a feel for what it would be like, and also I have been there and trained with other enlisted. In my opinion that will make me a better officer. Plus I may find I like the enlisted side of things.

I get my E-4 going in with a college degree, and there is my loan repayment. I know I won't be making 65,000 dollar difference in pay(between officer and enlisted) in that three year period of time.

I was pretty much told everything that you just stated Princess, which is why I want to go enlisted first. I didn't realize going through ROTC gave you no choice as to where you are put until after I talked to a few people. That's one of those details they fail to mention.

Most wouldn't do it if they knew that. I was lucky my recuiter was honest about the whole thing.

I am one of those people who makes sure I have every detail under belt. I don't like suprises. So I researched everything fairly well.

Hope you decide to go 97 B! Maybe I'll see you at Huachuca!

PrincessRed said:
I am one of those people who makes sure I have every detail under belt. I don't like suprises. So I researched everything fairly well.

Trust me, I am one of those people that researches everything too and I've been researching pretty hardcore, and I have decided to go officer. I was originally going to go enlisted and into 96B (intel analyst), but my real goal is to help pay for law school and I don't see the point of taking the longer road. I won't be getting the GI Bill, but I can apply for FLEP while I'm in and if I don't get it, I can use the Hazelwood act in a TExas law school to go to law school when I get out. I know people say they respect officers that have had enlisted experience more, but becoming an officer is not a cake walk either. It's 9 weeks of basic, 14 weeks of OCS, 7 weeks of OLC and then anywhere from 12 to 24 weeks of OBC, so all in all, it's about a year's worth of physically and mentally demanding training. At any rate, I think I have made the correct decision.

Thank you guys for your input on my essay it was much appreciated. I made the appropriate changes. Now I have a different challenge. My recruiter has contacted whoever holds the boards for officer recommendations and he said that they want to hold a special board for me soon, and not have me wait till the next scheduled board, but if i get accepted, they want me to go asap. I still have about 9 mos. left to finish my MBA, so we'll see how it goes. I'm weighing the pros and cons as we speak. I'll keep you updated.

PRINCESS RED: I saw that you are shipping out very soon. Good luck and keep us posted on your experiences!

Back