Odd Military Trivia - Page 9

--
Boots

June 11th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

oh then you can belay my last PM.
June 12th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

This question is going down Mark, its going down.
June 12th, 2004  
Mark Conley

oooooohhhh...want to do some walking with that talking?

BTW sherman got the answer within 15 minutes after i posted it...
--
Boots
June 12th, 2004  
SHERMAN

June 12th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Congradulations Sherman but i will not give in. Also i never said I would take it down. (at least i hoped i didnt) Besides he did it with mirrors and what not.
June 13th, 2004  
Mark Conley

oh yaz...mirrors! i forgot all about them!

12 CST tommorow..due to the lateness that one was put to the web.

I look forward to saving some bucks..see what type bribe sherman will take!

(Make it worth your while Sherman...dont sell out unless you get a good price from the little.... )
June 13th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

I dont buy my answers (yet) did i say that out loud? oh well. I buy hints.
June 14th, 2004  
Mark Conley

well here is the answers belatedly: church went loooong today!

What I was looking for was the last time, ot the latest time decimation had been used by an army as a tool for dicipline. There are actually three instances in WWI that would have satisfied this answer:

1 Battle of the Marne, French Army. General Boutegourd had seven soldiers from the 327th regiment shot on 7 September 1914 without even a preliminary hearing for retreating during the Battle of the Marne.

This particular organization had a lot more than seven men run from the battle. It would seem that the general had one individual group picked at random, and arbitrarly had seven of its memebers shot. This is a straight form of decimation, the use of selecting individual soldiers at random and shooting them as an example. It is the one , authoritative documented latest example of this I could find in study.

2. The British Army, 1914-1918: Decimation in the form of trials and sentances carried out. Between 1914 and 1918 the british tried 3000 men for crimes concerning the battlefied. Of the 3000 sentanced to death, 300 or so were actually put to death, the rest commuted in sentances.

This is a broad form of decimation, in that one in ten have actually been put to death, although it occurred over a period of time and not confined to just one period on the battlefield.

There is a great web site that defines the Shot at Dawn syndrome of the British Army here:

http://www.shotatdawn.org.uk/

The last case of decimation occured in the french army during the great Mutiny, April 29, 1917. Although not proven, some 30 soldiers (out of a total of 30 to 40,000 mutineers) were shot after the mutinies had been put down.

It would appear that the French and Italian armys, which were the last major Military organizations to have a decimation clause allowed in their code of military justice, outlawed the practice after WWI.

Thank God for small favors.
June 14th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

and i almost had it.
June 14th, 2004  
Mark Conley

close...very close indeed...

Youll love the next question nulli...its a good one.