Now We Know:The Top Ten Greatest Ever Weapons

While the katana was an excellent sword, it wasnt the magical 1d10+2 sword that people make it out to be. It actually wasn't designed to block other swords or get through heavy armor, it had a tendency to chip. For honorable dueling between two people, yeah a katana is great. For warfare, I'd rather have a shield and a longsword.

The only weapon on there I agree with is the AK-47. Otherwise...the Discovery Channel branches out waaaaay too much in their definitions of "weapons".

MightyMacbeth said:
second, the stirup isnt verymuch a weapon..
The ability to have all that extra leverage behind a spear or lance is huge. It turns a charging horse into one of the most deadly weapons in history. Being able to have both hands free and still be very secure in the saddle also allow much greater ease shooting a bow from the back of the horse and you also get to hold a shield. All of this is only possible because of the stirrup.

Interestingly enough, the stirrup appears to have originated on the Steppes of Mongolia and is given credit for the fact that the Huns, Mongols and others were able to attack with vastly inferior numbers, but still completely overwhelm the Chinese. They've been conquered from the north many many many times.

When the use of the stirrup spread, the Romans got some good use out of it, but the most notable thing would be the Knights in the Middle Ages. A knight on the back of a huge Charger with a lance had terrifying power. A sharp lance would go through anything short of a foot-thick stone wall. No armor was going to protect you well enough.

c/Commander said:
The only weapon on there I agree with is the AK-47. Otherwise...the Discovery Channel branches out waaaaay too much in their definitions of "weapons".

Why? The AK is nothing more that a retooled copy of the STG-44, the first real Assault Rifle. The STG should have been on the list.

In fact, AK-47 are a crappy because when you aim at a man and you pulled the trigger and the bullet hit on ground and you miss him. That's a AK-47.

M-4 should be on the list.

Cadet Seaman said:
Why? The AK is nothing more that a retooled copy of the STG-44, the first real Assault Rifle. The STG should have been on the list.

No, the STG-44 and the AK-47 use much different actions in their design. Saying the AK-47 is a copy of the STG is like saying the G36 is a copy of the STG because they are both assault rifles.

Fox said:
In fact, AK-47 are a crappy because when you aim at a man and you pulled the trigger and the bullet hit on ground and you miss him. That's a AK-47.

M-4 should be on the list.

You must either be a shitty shot or be firing a broken AK-47

Koz said:
You must either be a shitty shot or be firing a broken AK-47

Hmm..I'm on top shooter in my markmenship team. I guess that would be broken AK-47. In fact, I never use AK-47 before, I heard it from marine guy who went to Iraq. He said, it sucks but it looks cool.

I've shot in many many three gun matches (pistol,shotgun,rifle) and have used an AK for everyone one of them and do fairly well, so I guess your either a "shitty shot or using a broken ak-47"

The ak-47 deserves to be on the list because of its durability and use. Every krapistan country in the world has an army armed with AKs so they must of done something right.

Koz said:
No, the STG-44 and the AK-47 use much different actions in their design. Saying the AK-47 is a copy of the STG is like saying the G36 is a copy of the STG because they are both assault rifles.

mp44.jpg

ak.jpg

They are very close. We did the same thing with the M60. The M60 is a copy of the MG-42 as the Ak is of the STG, may not be and exact replica but they have the same layout.

Rabs said:
I've shot in many many three gun matches (pistol,shotgun,rifle) and have used an AK for everyone one of them and do fairly well, so I guess your either a "shitty shot or using a broken ak-47"

The ak-47 deserves to be on the list because of its durability and use. Every krapistan country in the world has an army armed with AKs so they must of done something right.

Or maybe it's because it cost about $100 to make, all stamped. Why do you think the US went from the M1A1 Thompson to the M-3 Greaser? Cheaper to make.

Cadet Seaman said:
mp44.jpg

ak.jpg

They are very close. We did the same thing with the M60. The M60 is a copy of the MG-42 as the Ak is of the STG, may not be and exact replica but they have the same layout.
In the same way all assault rifles have "the same layout" as the STG. They have completely different internal mechanisms. The STG was the first assault rifle, from your logic every rifle since is a copy of them.

Last edited:
Fox said:
Hmm..I'm on top shooter in my markmenship team. I guess that would be broken AK-47. In fact, I never use AK-47 before, I heard it from marine guy who went to Iraq. He said, it sucks but it looks cool.

The guys is probably firing a broken AK. The AK is accurate out to 300m.

Back