Not my Flag!!!!!

opinion

don't jump down my neck,

Some where down the line america has lost the meaning of peace and harmony.

People may not agree but over the last few years all the world hears about is america invading america done wrong etc.

I have respect for the states i holding their will but i also have to agree that america at the moment is trading in double standards.

The country is so multi raced that either way some one is gonna be annoyed. Racial atatcks and protests will take place and theres no stopping it, so rather fight whats going on why not figure out how to calm the situatuion, going in guns blazed will never make it stop.

Re: opinion

Anya1982 said:
don't jump down my neck,

Some where down the line america has lost the meaning of peace and harmony.

People may not agree but over the last few years all the world hears about is america invading america done wrong etc.

I have respect for the states i holding their will but i also have to agree that america at the moment is trading in double standards.

The country is so multi raced that either way some one is gonna be annoyed. Racial atatcks and protests will take place and theres no stopping it, so rather fight whats going on why not figure out how to calm the situatuion, going in guns blazed will never make it stop.

Ya know what. I could careless if some clown in some fourth world :cen: hole burns the US flag. Or some clown in some first world "bastion of intellect and knowledge" (read Europe) burns the US flag. That doesn't phase me a bit I've seen it all my life and I accept it.

What frosts my six is some clown who breathes, sleeps, and lives in many cases a life far and above the level he or she would have because men and women died for the very liberties he excercises and has as a matter of law, burns the national symbol in some half :cen:ed protest.

They give the excuse they are protesting the President. The election or whatever they don't agree with. The flag symbolizes none of these it symbolizes the country as a whole. It smybolizes every man and woman who served under it, who died serving it, who bled serving it. To burn that flag is to spit in their and their families collective faces. It belittles sacrifices made and values held by the citizens of the country. Simply because the Majority of those people did not elect who a minority thought they should.

Do they have a right to protest. Yes. It's legal it's protected. Because people have died to insure that right. But to offend and belittle the sacrifices is wrong to the nth degree.

If it is sooooo bad here. And the nation as a whole is sooooo bad. Heres a Paris real estate listing guide don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

I agree with ya. There is a difference, burnin the Flag has nothin to do with what the President's policy is. The Flag is this nation not the politics in it.

Hi,

In Democracy People have the Right to Disagree and protest ..................But everythig has a Limit .............Burning a National Flag is Stupidity .................the Flag Dosen't represent George Bush or his policies ................the Flag has been there before Bush and it will be there after Bush.

I don't have a idea about US Laws regarding Disrespect towards Flag............But in India it's Illegal to Show disrespect to the National Flag..................the Guy could have been procecutied here .

National Honour (Amendment) Act, 2003 (INDIA)

Whoever in any public place or in any other place within public view burns, mutilates, defaces, defiles, disfigures, destroys, tramples upon or otherwise shows disrespect to or brings into contempt (whether by words, either spoken or written, or by acts) the Indian National Flag………. or any part thereof, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

It used to be illegal here. The Supreme Court ruled in the 80's it was protected under Freedom of Speech and pretty much gave the nut jobs free rien to disgrace it. :evil: :cen:

At first, I was mad, then I was sad. My screen savers are rows upon rows of white crosses at various beaches in Normandy and other countries. I am one of those who feels that, somehow, those young kids from America and UK can feel the the hurt and disappointment that what they died for is being torn, burned and worn as headgear. They should have their everlasting peace that what they gave was worth the price. They will never be able to watch a parade with a family of their own and feel the pride when the Stars and Stripes or the Union Jack passes by. They should be honored by not dishonoring what they died for on those beaches so far from home to protect. If a person can't remember what the flag stands for, then he doesn't deserve to be called a Patriot. That's something you earn, not born into.

As I started reading this thread I was thinking of what I wanted to say until I saw 03USMC's post. Couldn't have said it any better.

they shouldnt have even have drawn of the flag in the first place. Now i think that is over doing the right of freedom of speech, that guy shouldnt evan have freedom if he doesnt support all the people who died before him, I dont think he reliezes that they didnt die so they could draw symbols of the flag! If he cant respect the flag that the soulders in fight of war that killed to see that flag rising he should be in america so he can kiss my :cen: that :cen: ing :cen: hole!

i think its even worse that he's wearing a cammie jacket, i say, :cen: him and all his beliefs :evil:

meh its usa, he could do wuteverthehellhewants

Removed by Admin! Watch your language..

but the flag part was too far, he could've done it with a conferderate flag cuz bush is from the distant south

It's always odd to me that Americans get so worked up about a symbol; I mean hell, the Olympic Hockey team for the US had a Canadian flag on the floor of it's locker room; don't see us getting upset; nor did we get upset when the marines hoisted the Canadian flag upside down. Different culture I suppose.

Well the Maple Leaf Flag is what? 50 years old? You don't have the history with it that we do with the Stars and Stripes. Also, those very stars are a visible sign of our union - the bars a sign of our hard fought for independance. I will admit, however, that having a Canadian flag on a US hockey team locker room floor was poorly done. I'll have to take your word on that though as I have no knowledge of it. I'm sure the feeling though was in regards to your hockey team though and not your nation. Not really the same thing as the picture at the start of this topic.

A little note about the flag flying upside down: it is actually an international sign of distress to fly the flag upside down. In such circumstances it is perfectly acceptable to do so. I once lived next to a cemetary. There was a large US flag flying next to a monument listing the town's war dead from all wars since the Revolution (yep we're that old a state). Tombstones immediately next to it were all war dead. I caught a young man hauling down the flag and starting to send it back up upside down. His idea of a protest I guess. I just peacefully walked up to him and asked him if he was in distress. He gave me a puzzled look and I explained the use as a distress symbol. He now seemed embarassed and answered "no". So I then asked him if it was his flag. He again said "no". I told him that flag belonged to the men buried beneath it and he had no right to do anything to it. I suggested if he felt the need to do something to a flag that there was a hardware store down the street and he could go buy one and do as he pleased with it. The law allows that, but it doesn't allow taking away the flag of those honored dead. He looked really ashamed now and just turned and walked away after I made sure he put the flag rightside up.

maybe these people have lost all belief in your flag because of the current administration and the things being done overseas.

desicrating a flag is a very powerful statement, and i think a valid one.

~THIS IS NOT MY FLAG, IT DOES NOT REPRESENT MY BELIEFS OR THE COUNTRY I BELIEVE IN AND THESE ACTIONS ARE NOT BEING DONE IN MY NAME~

just a thought and i know almost none of you will agree.

chewie_nz said:
maybe these people have lost all belief in your flag because of the current administration and the things being done overseas.

~THIS IS NOT MY FLAG, IT DOES NOT REPRESENT MY BELIEFS OR THE COUNTRY I BELIEVE IN AND THESE ACTIONS ARE NOT BEING DONE IN MY NAME~

Doing my best to be as unbiased as i can i must say that if a country's national symbol does not represent anything you believe or support you should in no way take part in supporting that said country. Be it by purchases, paying taxes or by rallying your voice on a political topic. if you do not care about anything that country stands for then by default you should not be there. whether you respect it or not is beside the point... if you don't like what it stands for or believes in or fights for you shouldn't care enough to fight one way or the other... and the actions aren't being done in your name until you put YOUR life on the line and stand up for what you believe in... this is striclty the opinion of a civilian that is not even close to being a service man!

implicature said:
chewie_nz said:

Doing my best to be as unbiased as i can i must say that if a country's national symbol does not represent anything you believe or support you should in no way take part in supporting that said country. Be it by purchases, paying taxes or by rallying your voice on a political topic. if you do not care about anything that country stands for then by default you should not be there. whether you respect it or not is beside the point... if you don't like what it stands for or believes in or fights for you shouldn't care enough to fight one way or the other... and the actions aren't being done in your name until you put YOUR life on the line and stand up for what you believe in... this is striclty the opinion of a civilian that is not even close to being a service man!

what? rather than try and change it? and believe me, i'd LOVE to stop paying taxes! lol

when the US invaded another country on trumped up excuses to "defend the homeland" then these wrongs ARE being done in the name of every american. if it was me in that position, i'd be pretty pissed too...and starting to look around for symbols of what i don't agree with to show my rage

all the good that the US flag used to stand for is steadily being eroded by the actions of bush and cohorts.

just the opinion of an ignorant foreigner

Chewie, America's a divided country. The street marching hippies are the ones that are actually furthest away from the original American mindset. I believe the organization called A.N.S.W.E.R. is actually a Marxist movement and it funds a lot of those anti-Bush rallies. Communism is about the furthest thing you could be from American. If you don't think so, you obviously know zlich about America.
I think you should pull out your America credentials before you make that statement.

r031Button said:
It's always odd to me that Americans get so worked up about a symbol; I mean h**l, the Olympic Hockey team for the US had a Canadian flag on the floor of it's locker room; don't see us getting upset; nor did we get upset when the marines hoisted the Canadian flag upside down. Different culture I suppose.

That was totally not cool. But I think the point this time was that it was people of THAT country burning their own flag. But either way those American guys were definately in the wrong when doing that.

the_13th_redneck said:
Chewie, America's a divided country. The street marching hippies are the ones that are actually furthest away from the original American mindset. I believe the organization called A.N.S.W.E.R. is actually a Marxist movement and it funds a lot of those anti-Bush rallies. Communism is about the furthest thing you could be from American. If you don't think so, you obviously know zlich about America.
I think you should pull out your America credentials before you make that statement.

my americans credentials are clearly on display all through this forum.
i am a VERY interested observer, i don't pretend to be an expert and only try to offer my own opinion. alternative point of view and all that.

i don't mind having to defend my views.

but back to the topic at hand;

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/wpnz/dec1-03flagburning.htm

a case of flag burning in NZ

Um, sorry, but Bush = Flag does not compute. Your country is your country. If you feel it's not performing along the lines you'd like then do something constructive to change it. Desicrating a flag is a wimpy way to say you're unhappy with the government. Easy thing to do. Real change takes work. Oh, and I imagine these people who so readily desicrate the flag and say it's not their country would be screaming bloody murder if anybody took them up on that and ejected them from a country they don't feel is their's. The flag represents us all - not an administration.

easily identifiable icon for america.

bald eagle....not enough of those to burn
TV.....who would burn that! TV's great!
McDonalds....not a bad idea.....

all the above are too hard to burn....looks like it has to be a piece of cloth.

it is merely a representation of ideas and beliefs. the true home of these feelings is in you and can't be cheapened no matter what anyone else does

Back