NOPD Officer Punished 15 Minutes Before Retirement

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
New Orleans Police Superintendent Warren Riley said Wednesday that a 35-year police veteran who was reprimanded for wearing the wrong uniform shirt just 15 minutes before he was set to retire was punished appropriately.
"He suffered the consequences of his actions," Riley said.
Sgt. Bobby Guidry of the NOPD's 2nd District said Tuesday that he was advised on his last day, June 28, that he was suspended for wearing the old powder-blue uniform shirt instead of the post-Katrina black shirt.
Police officials said Guidry was reprimanded, not suspended, and that an internal investigation was opened into the matter.
Guidry is considered to be "retired under investigation," which means he will not receive his police commission and denies him the opportunity to work as a reserve officer.
Guidry said he had not received any follow-up telephone calls or disciplinary letters, and has not been interviewed by internal investigators.
He acknowledged wearing the improper uniform and said he was trying to make a statement on his last day by honoring his colleagues who died while wearing the powder-blue shirt while he was on the force.
Riley, speaking Wednesday morning at a ribbon-cutting ceremony at a new police division headquarters, also said he was dismayed by the actions of officer Donyell Sanchell, who apparently last weekend led Crescent City Connection police on a pursuit across the bridge and into the city, then allegedly grazed a bridge officer with his vehicle and later slapped him.
Bridge police issued Sanchell a municipal summons for battery along with traffic citations.
"Was I disappointed? Absolutely," Riley said. "It's embarrassing for the New Orleans Police Department."
Riley noted that the Sanchell case is still under investigation by the Crescent City Connection Police Department. That agency handed over police reports and video and audio footage from the pursuit to the Orleans Parish district attorney's office Wednesday. The department is seeking a second opinion from the DA about whether the municipal charges levied against Sanchell were appropriate.
The NOPD is conducting an internal administrative investigation. Sanchell has been suspended without pay.
"I will render the most appropriate decision," Riley said of any possible punishment for Sanchell, which Riley noted could range from a reprimand to termination.

I am all for cohesion and discipline, but this is one of those times where the uniform regulations should have been suspended, not the officer. In my opinion, 35 years of community service as an officer, which no one but an idiot would argue is a thankless and dangerous job, should generate an exception to wear the old uniform in memory of those who lost their lives in his tenure.

It's not like he was on the street in public view, confusing citizens. He had a 15-minute formation or other function (briefing?), which promoted nothing but his desire to honorably remember those he once served with.

This is a classic example of politics gone awry. I pray the officer receives the benefits he's earned with no further disciplinary action sans a little butt chewing.

Yes, this type of stuff was the worst part about being in the military or in the police force, a-holes with rank exercising their right to be a-holes. Very petty and childish in my opinion. They probably would have laughed it off if he showed up in three stooges boxers, a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops. Stupid and pathetic.

Little people with power. Whenever they see someone who is their superior but junior in rank, they always have to rub it in.

Riley is the unwashed southern end of a north-bound wild ass.

mod edit: you know better than to use the word you did on the forums.

offender edit: fair call, seems I forgot the ROEs.

mod edit: good recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
Back