New Zealand Memories

Del Boy

Now here's a funny thing. I am will be 75 years of age this year. When I was 17 I spent a few weeks working on The Australia Star making our way around the coast unloading and loading. Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin, Lymington, Gisborne etc.etc., a few days at each stop. Any afternoons off I usually went swimming, it was around Xmas and New Year time. Although I meant to, I never went back.

Well, last year, a couple who had left here over 30 years ago and settled in New Zealand were holidaying in their camper, and sent e-mails to my brother in law, Jim.

One was a shot of their camper parked in the foreground of a little beach - no buildings of note and not much else, little bit of scrub, no landmarks. He sent them on to me, and as I quickly scanned through them I glanced at that one and asked Jim to check with the Kiwis where the location was, was it Napier, I said. The answer was yes.

I used to swim there, the beach was usually almost empty.

I find that surprising after all those years.:smile:

Now here's a funny thing. I am will be 75 years of age this year. When I was 17 I spent a few weeks working on The Australia Star making our way around the coast unloading and loading. Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin, Lymington, Gisborne etc.etc., a few days at each stop. Any afternoons off I usually went swimming, it was around Xmas and New Year time. Although I meant to, I never went back.

Well, last year, a couple who had left here over 30 years ago and settled in New Zealand were holidaying in their camper, and sent e-mails to my brother in law, Jim.

One was a shot of their camper parked in the foreground of a little beach - no buildings of note and not much else, little bit of scrub, no landmarks. He sent them on to me, and as I quickly scanned through them I glanced at that one and asked Jim to check with the Kiwis where the location was, was it Napier, I said. The answer was yes.

Umm I think you mean Lyttleton, the port in Christchurch?

As for empty beaches, we are a small population and have thousands of accessible beaches many of which are empty year around.

Things are changing gradually though as seafront properties are now starting to skyrocket in price, just after we moved back to New Zealand (12 years ago) we purchased 2 acres of land and a small house at a beach about 30 kilometers from where we live for $45,000 and last year we were offered just under $5,000,000 for the property by developers.

Umm I think you mean Lyttleton, the port in Christchurch?

As for empty beaches, we are a small population and have thousands of accessible beaches many of which are empty year around.

Things are changing gradually though as seafront properties are now starting to skyrocket in price, just after we moved back to New Zealand (12 years ago) we purchased 2 acres of land and a small house at a beach about 30 kilometers from where we live for $45,000 and last year we were offered just under $5,000,000 for the property by developers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved finding great little 'empty' beaches, that was not a criticism, far from it. And yes, I did indeed mean Lyttleton; and I should have said Port Chalmers rather than Dunedin perhaps.

Sounds like good business; congratulations. Obviously a good business brain trumps a good memory anytime.:cheers:

And HMMM - thank you kindly; not quite my actual birthday date yet - but I will keep your wishes until on hold until June . Thanks again.

Last edited:
quite great

you have quite right and interesting story great story

Last edited by a moderator:
what is with this guy and yoga therapy????

it appears to be some kind of advertisement...

there have been a few of these guys promoting the same thing.

Back