New US Army Combat Boot - Page 2

--

October 21st, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

ah yes, the 100 mile death march. Every few years at the 101st, some Sergeant Major makes his infantry do that. Luckly, I have yet to be a part of that.
October 22nd, 2004  
CavScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
ah yes, the 100 mile death march. Every few years at the 101st, some Sergeant Major makes his infantry do that. Luckly, I have yet to be a part of that.
Hehe...I was a Scout I am glad Ididn't have to do that.....the thought makes me hurt...
October 23rd, 2004  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC
when we had to do a hundred mile march in four days there was no such thing as a comfortable boot
Been there, done that (3 times), still got some of the scars...

I've walked the Nijmegen march (Netherlands) 3 times, it's about 27 miles (45km) pr day, 4 days in a row (11kgs on our back)...

And I agree with you SFC, when you reach day three, there's no such thing as a comfortable boot, it's all pain anyway...

But I really like the Norwegian Army Boots, it's the only thing I use (pluss a good pair of inlay soles...)
--
October 23rd, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC
When I was with the 7th Infantry Division we marched 25 miles a day in 10 hours and when we had to do a hundred mile march in four days there was no such thing as a comfortable boot

SFC
I still like the jungle boots for comfort and "marachability", even tool them to Northern Wedding/Bold Guard 86 to do the death march from Bodo to Olso....
October 25th, 2004  
egoz

The best boot I've worn was the Adidas GSG9 boot. I realize it isn't standard issue and probably won't be. But they are so light and give just as much protection as any other boot I've worn. They're only water proof half way up the boot, but that usually isn't a problem. It doesn't have a steel toe either, but it does have a hard toe area. I've never run into problems stubbing toes or dropping anything where I've hurt myself. Not only that, they're just as comfortable as any other pair of Adidas on the market. The only issue I have with them is they came with a flimsy pair of laces that I have replaced. Other than that they're worth every penny.

I'm looking into those new Oakley Assault Boots too.
November 4th, 2004  
AussieNick

Best boots I've ever worn are Australian Taipan boots. They are light, strong and very comfortable. They are not standard issue, but if you purchase them privately you can wear them as your bush boots with most units. I have had a pair for 5 years and must have walked thousands of kilometers in them and they are holding up perfectly.
November 5th, 2004  
AFSteliga

The Canadian Forces uses the same type of boot, and has been for a while.
November 5th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
Best boots I've ever worn are Australian Taipan boots. They are light, strong and very comfortable. They are not standard issue, but if you purchase them privately you can wear them as your bush boots with most units. I have had a pair for 5 years and must have walked thousands of kilometers in them and they are holding up perfectly.
do you have any good web sites on those boots? I hoped around a little but could not find a decent site.
November 8th, 2004  
AussieNick

Here is a link to Highmark Shoes, they are the maker of Taipans.

http://www.highmark.com.au/military.htm

They are made with Kangaroo skin, it's very tough compared to cow leather.
November 10th, 2004  
silent driller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Anyone who's done a lot of moving or running will appriciate the value of great foot gear.
Oh, yeah! And I do notice that all that leather tends to be hard on my hamstrings!