New Uniform For USN - Page 5

--

May 9th, 2006  
tomtom22

All of this is almost two years old. This is news?
May 9th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
The article Navy Boy posted is from 2004 and was not considered as an acceptable pattern.

The Navy just decided to adopt the new BDUs with the MARPAT this year, details are in the link I posted in my previous post.
May 14th, 2006  
AJChenMPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving0target
While I understand it's strictly an example, I really don't understand why Navy personnel would wear the pattern of BDUs pictured. In reality, why would Navy personnel need camo at all?
Right from the article in the first/initial post:
Quote:
The working uniform design is not intended to camouflage Sailors against the background of a ship. Instead, the multiple colors on the uniform - navy blue, deck gray, haze gray and black - are common in the maritime working environment, making them a more practical choice.

"What we have heard from Sailors aboard ship is if they get a small spot of paint or grease on a pair of solid-color utilities or coveralls, itís easily visible and detracts from the uniformís appearance," Scott said. "With the Navy Working Uniformís multicolor pattern, a small spot or stain may be almost entirely unnoticeable."

Another positive aspect of a multicolor pattern is that wrinkles caused by daily wear would be less visible, and the new uniforms will be wash and wear with no ironing required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
Sir, I believe the decision to replace most of the enlisted service uniforms (i.e., winter blues, summer whites, etc.) with service khakis is a relatively new thing. It looks like they were considering khaki and gray, and khaki won out (just saw an article in March in the Navy Times announcing the khakis as the chosen uniform).

I didn't see anything (or remember) on what was decided for rank insignia. If they wear it on the collar, it'll be tough to pick out -- but if they were it on the sleeve, they'll look like Marines (not that they don't already).
--
May 14th, 2006  
Damien435

So the Navy's getting rid of the all white uniforms that remind me of Mt. Stay Puft? That's too bad.
May 14th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
So the Navy's getting rid of the all white uniforms that remind me of Mt. Stay Puft? That's too bad.
I doubt it. They seem to be adding newer uniform style/design to the current existing uniforms
May 14th, 2006  
AJChenMPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Sort of. My understanding is that the short-sleeve summer white uniform for enlisted sailors E1-E6 is being eliminated by the new khakis. The service dress white uniform (long-sleeved, with the blue scarf tied off at the front) remains, as do all the white uniforms for E7-E9 and all officers.

BTW, is it me, or does that female sailor above resemble Catherine Bell (of "JAG" fame)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJChenMPH
I didn't see anything (or remember) on what was decided for rank insignia. If they wear it on the collar, it'll be tough to pick out -- but if they were it on the sleeve, they'll look like Marines (not that they don't already).
Hmmmmm, reading through the article to which PJ posted the link, it looks like it'll be metal rank insignia on the collars only. And I guess going with the service khakis save everyone money -- they'll just take the poly-wool shirts that CPOs and officers already wear and match them with the pants and skirts from the service dress blue uniform.
May 14th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, I can't deny the uniforms looks cool. Any idea how can I get a hold of a set of those uniforms? I collect military uniforms from all oever the world. So guys and links?
May 14th, 2006  
c/Commander

They're not even being issued yet, Zander, you'll have to wait a couple of years.
May 14th, 2006  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJChenMPH
BTW, is it me, or does that female sailor above resemble Catherine Bell (of "JAG" fame)?
I thought so too which of course can mean only one thing, it is the same person. I smell a conspiracy, dun dun dun!
May 14th, 2006  
Fox

Navy are going to look like Marine Corps uniform.