New (with a purpose)

Hello everyone. My name is Hien Robinson and I spent 10 years in the United States Army doing an assortment of jobs. Did two tours in Iraq, the first one in 2003 and the last one right before I separated in 2010.

I actually joined the forum because I am conducting research for a paper dealing with the issue of a mandatory enlistment in the armed forces for all Americans. I've read some hokey articles about how it would make the nation a better place but having personal experience with the Army I know that to be a fallacy.

I've read the thread already posted and would like to use some of what was said (with the expressed permission of the author) in my paper. I would also like to add a more personal voice to my paper with first hand experiences (such as LeEnfield's account of being a conscript). I want views on this from soldiers (other than myself) that have also been at the front lines and know what it's like.

Please send me a message with your story and name or post to the thread and I'll be sure to read it. Thank you everyone.

Welcome aboard.

For what it's worth, the view in Australia (among the ADF) is that we don't want conscripts. Gen X and Y volunteers are hard enough to train, and they ASKED to be there.

Some in the general community think to "put them in the Army" will "sort them out".

Serving members disagree.

Welcome and good luck with your research. I hope the soldiers are willing to share what they need.

Back