The New Iraqi Military - Page 4

--

March 11th, 2005  
Darcia

yeah I agree it is a good weapon I was still just...I guess suprised to find out thats was what they were being equiped with.
March 11th, 2005  
c/Commander

The only AKs that are good are the '47s with stocks...the '47s without stocks are pretty much useless as they're impossible to aim well, the '74s use weak ammo (5.45mm), and the AKS-74U is a '74 with a chopped off barrel and stock-pretty much useless as well for frontline work.

Most of the AK-47s I've seen in photos are the newer composite-stock versions-very nice weapons.
March 11th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Quote:
The only AKs that are good are the '47s with stocks
Id say that is your opinion.

Quote:
the '74s use weak ammo (5.45mm)
Not much diffrent than 5.56....

Quote:
and the AKS-74U is a '74 with a chopped off barrel and stock-pretty much useless as well for frontline work.
Not if your front line is a city street...
--
March 11th, 2005  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Id say that is your opinion.
Yes having fired all of the above weapons, I would consider my opinion rather well informed.

Quote:
Not much diffrent than 5.56....
5.56 has been known to have stopping power problems as well. We're not comparing between the AK and the '16. I'm pretty sure that Russia isn't reverting to 7.62mm on their AKs just for the hell of it.

Quote:
Not if your front line is a city street...
Even if your front line is a city street. All of the portability in the world won't save you if you can't make a 100 yard shot against an enemy with an RPG-7.
March 11th, 2005  
SHERMAN

were getting off toppic, if you wish to, open a new topic.
March 11th, 2005  
Armyjaeger

"Even if your front line is a city street. All of the portability in the world won't save you if you can't make a 100 yard shot against an enemy with an RPG-7."

I'd say that 100 yard shot is up to the person behind the stock.
March 11th, 2005  
CavScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmFighter
Armor and aircraft however, I'm not so sure about. The question is if they'll go with Russian tanks and fighters or if they'll follow the example of the Saudis and scrap them in favor of American M1 Abrams and F-15 Eagles. That's what I would do if I was the Iraqi government, especially since I'm pretty sure that the US military would supply them at low cost. The F-15s would go fast, with the F/A-22 Raptor now beginning to be phased into US Air Force active duty squadron service.

We (USA) are selling M1's abroad? I thought that was still restricted technology?
March 11th, 2005  
IAmFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavScout
We (USA) are selling M1's abroad? I thought that was still restricted technology?
Yep. Saudi Arabia has at least five brigades equipped with M1A1s, and I think the UAE, Qatar, and maybe Kuwait has Abrams tanks as well.
March 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

Australia and Egypt also have the M1A1 Abrams.
March 12th, 2005  
IAmFighter

I knew I was forgetting somebody.....