new aussie armored vehicle

Regardless, I reckon a Humvee looks safer/better

BUT as you said, looks can be deceiving.

hawkei has a 'v' shape hull humvee dont.
hawkei designed to take fire from the start Humvee aint armoring is improvised on a Humvee

i know what i would rather

I thought the canvas on a Rover was armoured!
Does look the goods, just hope it can go the places I have had a Rover.

am i the only one thinking "WTF is Rudd concentrating so much on defence"
"WTF are we at war in the middle east"
if anyone could be neutral it would be us
and don't give me the old "wat aboot china" syndrome
like theyd ever attack us, and like the us would let that happen

I preffered Howard more than Rudd.

Though they were both bums. Apparently [According to my mothers boyfriend] Keating was a really good prime minister.

OK you need to spend money to replace old vehicles and equipment duh ....
if we don't our stuff will be outdated and we may as well in vite people to take us over...

take us over?....new zealand....papua new guinea?
ok maybe china and to a lesser extent indonesia
but we need to be realistic and focus on air defense and maritime strike capabilites
really can you imagine a scenario when we would use the Abrams in self defense
australian troops fighting in iraq/afganistan/pakistan/iran doesnt help us at all
geographically we are unique, so why should our armies be based on european or american standards
just my opinion
"where else could the money go, dole benefits" i guess is a possible response

Spain finally is replacint the old BMR´s with the R31, why did the Aussies not think about buying those:

http://spanishdefence.blogspot.com/2008/09/spain-orders-mrap-rg-31-mk5e.html

1mraprg31img34161962xa9.jpg

Specs:

The RG-31 Nyala is a 4x4 multi-purpose mine-protected armoured personnel carrier (APC) manufactured in South Africa by Land Systems OMC a division of BAE Systems. It is based on the Mamba APC of TFM Industries. The RG-31 Nyala is built from an V-shaped all-steel welded armor monocoque hull and high suspension, typical of South African mine protected vehicles, providing excellent small-arms and mine blast protection as well as small arms fire ( the vehicle is designed to resist a blast equivalent to two TM-57 anti-tank mines detonating simultaneously). The RG-31 is classified by the United States Department of Defense as a category 1 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle.
The vehicle accommodates a crew of 10 including the driver. Dismounting is provided via a large rear door and two front doors. A different version, the RG-31M features a military wiring harness, central tire inflation and several other new characteristics. This Vehicle has a crew of 5.

E-Type is better protected, due to IED incidents that showed flaws.

Rattler

Back